Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry Lever Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Henry Lever Carbine

I've been looking at the Henry lever-action .22's and might be getting the Carbine model in the Summer. Would be using it for small game hunting and plinking. I know these have been discussed in the past and read a couple of threads, but I still got couple of questions. First, are the Henrys comfortably sized for an adult to shoot? I mean, they look kind small and slim. How's the accuracy on these rifles? I'm not expecting them to be precision rifles, but I'm really used to my CZ shooting one ragged hole at 50yds And last, could someone take a few measurements of the muzzle as I might get it threaded for a supressor. It would be a 1/2" - 20UNF thread, if that helps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am 6' 2" and 225lbs. I find the Henry quite comfortable to shoot. It is a lever action, but still very accurate. It's not a CZ bolt gun....but I can hit beer cans at 40 yards with mine. BTW, mine has iron sights. I don't like scopes on lever guns.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
I am 6' 2" and 225lbs. I find the Henry quite comfortable to shoot. It is a lever action, but still very accurate. It's not a CZ bolt gun....but I can hit beer cans at 40 yards with mine. BTW, mine has iron sights. I don't like scopes on lever guns.
Good to hear, that's plenty accurate for my use. Not going to put a scope on it, but some may find the supressor a bit unorthodox on a lever gun

Would still like someone to measure the OD of the barrel to know if it's thick enough to be threaded. It should be atleast 1/2" to accommodate the thread.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I just got a normal 22lr and the od of the barrel is 5/8 but I think the magazine tube is gona get in the way.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
I've been looking at the Henry lever-action .22's and might be getting the Carbine model in the Summer. Would be using it for small game hunting and plinking. I know these have been discussed in the past and read a couple of threads, but I still got couple of questions. First, are the Henrys comfortably sized for an adult to shoot? I mean, they look kind small and slim. How's the accuracy on these rifles?

Hi Alek:

I mentioned on another thread that I just bought my first Henry.. I went to the gun store intending to buy the HT001, but saw the HT001Y (youth/ or trapper) model and liked it better so that's the one I bought. (My wife bought another w/consecutive serial number).

I'm only 5'9" (and getting shorter by the day, I'm 69), but the youth model fit me perfectly.. You might prefer the standard HT001, it's a bit longer..

Our Henry's shot perfectly right out of the box once we made windage adjustments to the rear sight (simply to do).. Action, extremely smooth, and more accuracy than I can take advantage of.

I'm a dedicated Marlin 39 lover, but I must admit this Henry (at about 1/2 the price) is a lot of gun for the money, and I love shooting it.

It's funny, but I kept reading where the "Henry's actions were smoother" than those of my beloved Marlin 39A's, and I assumed that was b/s from Henry owners..

Not so... The Henry is light years "smoother" than any of my 5 Marlin 39A's.

I didn't expect that..

Get a Henry, I think you'll be more than pleased with it.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I just got a normal 22lr and the od of the barrel is 5/8 but I think the magazine tube is gona get in the way.
Yeah, I noticed that too looking at pictures of Henrys. I'll see if it's possible to cut down the magazine tube when I get the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX15 View Post
Hi Alek:

I mentioned on another thread that I just bought my first Henry.. I went to the gun store intending to buy the HT001, but saw the HT001Y (youth/ or trapper) model and liked it better so that's the one I bought. (My wife bought another w/consecutive serial number).

I'm only 5'9" (and getting shorter by the day, I'm 69), but the youth model fit me perfectly.. You might prefer the standard HT001, it's a bit longer..

Our Henry's shot perfectly right out of the box once we made windage adjustments to the rear sight (simply to do).. Action, extremely smooth, and more accuracy than I can take advantage of.

I'm a dedicated Marlin 39 lover, but I must admit this Henry (at about 1/2 the price) is a lot of gun for the money, and I love shooting it.

It's funny, but I kept reading where the "Henry's actions were smoother" than those of my beloved Marlin 39A's, and I assumed that was b/s from Henry owners..

Not so... The Henry is light years "smoother" than any of my 5 Marlin 39A's.

I didn't expect that..

Get a Henry, I think you'll be more than pleased with it.

Best Wishes,

Jesse
Thank you for the information Jesse. I was looking at the Marlin 39A also, but I think the price is simply too steep for what it is(they actually cost more than a basic Marlin 45-70 in Finland). From what I've seen and read so far, the Henry should be just the perfect gun for what I'm looking for.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

[QUOTE=AleksiR
Thank you for the information Jesse. I was looking at the Marlin 39A also, but I think the price is simply too steep for what it is(they actually cost more than a basic Marlin 45-70 in Finland). From what I've seen and read so far, the Henry should be just the perfect gun for what I'm looking for.[/QUOTE]

Akek:

Another thought. Current production Marlin 39A's have a reputation that is less than stellar. Many folks here in the U.S. are buying older 39A's because of it..

Also, the warranty on the Henry is (for the original owner) FOREVER, and FOREVER.... Gotta love that!

Good Shooting!

Jesse

Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You might also consider the H001L model Carbine, which has the same short barrel as the Youth model, along with the full-length stock of the standard model. It also has the large loop lever suitable for large hands, gloved hands, or general snazzy looks.

Youth 16.125" barrel.....13" LOP.....33" OAL.....4.5 lbs
Carbine 16.125" barrel.....14" LOP.....34" OAL.....4.5 lbs
Standard 18.25 Barrel.....14" LOP.....36.5 OAL.....5.25 lbs
Octagon 20" Barrel.....14" LOP.....38.5 OAL.....6.25 lbs

Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
You might also consider the H001L model Carbine, which has the same short barrel as the Youth model, along with the full-length stock of the standard model. It also has the large loop lever suitable for large hands, gloved hands, or general snazzy looks.

Youth 16.125" barrel.....13" LOP.....33" OAL.....4.5 lbs
Carbine 16.125" barrel.....14" LOP.....34" OAL.....4.5 lbs
Standard 18.25 Barrel.....14" LOP.....36.5 OAL.....5.25 lbs
Octagon 20" Barrel.....14" LOP.....38.5 OAL.....6.25 lbs
That is the exact model I've been looking at, not the youth model.