Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry Lever action jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got my Goldenboy 22 mag for Christmas and ran a whole brick of stingers through it on Christmas day. Have not had a single issue whatsoever. I just pulled it out of the safe after seeing your post and tried to stroke the action as slowly as I could and it picked up the round and chambered it each and every time. Anthony and the crew at Henry are building a super strong customer service reputation and they will always make it right. Hearing that they swapped out a problem gun for a new one when it came back in a second time is good business both from a customer service standpoint and a manufacturers standpoint. Every now and then, for reasons unknown, a particular firearm will have a problem (or problems). When it's one out of a batch of 1000, and you cant see or nail down something blatantly obvious, the smart move is to simply replace the gun. You can bet they tore it down to see why it malfunctioned but from a customer facing side, send out a new gun and apologize for the inconvenience. Exactly what I would do. You can chase gremlins forever - sometimes a particular gun "just isn't right somewhere" (I know, very scientific diagnosis). **** happens.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #22

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical View Post
I got my Goldenboy 22 mag for Christmas and ran a whole brick of stingers through it on Christmas day. Have not had a single issue whatsoever. I just pulled it out of the safe after seeing your post and tried to stroke the action as slowly as I could and it picked up the round and chambered it each and every time. Anthony and the crew at Henry are building a super strong customer service reputation and they will always make it right. Hearing that they swapped out a problem gun for a new one when it came back in a second time is good business both from a customer service standpoint and a manufacturers standpoint. Every now and then, for reasons unknown, a particular firearm will have a problem (or problems). When it's one out of a batch of 1000, and you cant see or nail down something blatantly obvious, the smart move is to simply replace the gun. You can bet they tore it down to see why it malfunctioned but from a customer facing side, send out a new gun and apologize for the inconvenience. Exactly what I would do. You can chase gremlins forever - sometimes a particular gun "just isn't right somewhere" (I know, very scientific diagnosis). **** happens.

The new replacement has the same problem unfortunately.
I have tried it on two Henrys belonging to friends and theirs doesn't have this problem. Another forum participant discovered his does the same thing, bullet pops up and jams when operating the action slowly.

This has become quite a conundrum, with some Henrys doing it and other not. Henry tells me the action was designed to operate swiftly and that is what is causing the problem. Then why isn't it a problem on all Henrys?

I would like to share some PM dialog on the subject:

Paladin201:
Well, as Gomer Pyle would say....surprise, surprise. Mine does it too. I guess I've never cycled mine lying on its side. I'm always holding it upright. Now I'm really curious. I'm going to take mine down and see if I can figure this one out. I'll let you know.

My response:Thanks so much for your come back on this. I was beginning to think I was losing it. Now we have a real conundrum on our hands. Henry tells me that the action was designed to be operated swiftly, not slow like we found the problem. If this is true, which I doubt any designer would do deliberately, why do the two Henrys owned by my friends not exhibit this problem? We tried over and over and could not duplicate it. I wonder if it has anything to do with the production time period. Something has crept into the process or parts, like the carrier (part 08/09) or maybe the carrier feed lever (part 11). One more data point. Shorts do not exhibit this problem no mater how hard I try to make it happen.

It seems the long rifle round (all different brands I have tried) seem to pivot back at the rim which suggests a tolerance problem in the carrier.

From Palidin201

Well, I'm never one to pass up a challenge, so I couldn't rest until I could take my Henry down and analyze this. By the way. My rifle does this every single time. The key is the gun has to laying completely on its side and cycled very slowly. Anyway, it appears to be a timing issue, along with an assist from gravity.

When the lever is cycled all the way open, the carrier lifts the cartridge up into the feed channel. It puts upward pressure on the cartridge, holding it against the top lips of the feed channel. When you begin to cycle the lever closed, the bolt comes forward and engages the cartridge rim, which begins to push it forward in the feed channel. At this point the carrier is still holding the cartridge from below, so it can't go anywhere but forward. As you continue to cycle the lever, it reaches a point where the carrier begins to retract back down to release the next round from the feed tube. On my rifle, there is a very brief point carrier begins to retract, but the bolt hasn't yet pushed the round far enough forward to start into the chamber. It think that is the problem. At this point, the cartridge is no longer being held in place by the carrier. It's basically laying loose in the feed channel.

I tried a little experiment. I loaded a round, holding the gun upright, and cycled the lever slowly. I stopped just at that point where I could see the carrier begin to withdraw downward. At that point if I jiggled the gun around I could see the cartridge actually rattling loose in the channel. So I slowly turned the gun on its side until it reached the point where gravity took over, and the heavy nose of the bullet just fell out of the feed channel. The rim is still under the channel lips, otherwise the whole round would fall out.

I'm guessing this is just a characteristic of the design, although the fact that you know guns that do not exhibit this behavior shows that it can be compensated for. Probably just slight design variations from one model to the next, or one year to the next. Or even just manufacturing tolerances between guns.

The question is, whether it's worth worrying with at this point. Cycling the gun quickly prevents it. Or holding the gun even a little bit upright. I don't have to tilt my gun up very much to get it to stop doing it. It has to be all the way on its side before it happens. As my cousin from the hills of Arkansas would say...."I guesses it's just one of them thar thangs".[/QUOTE]

My reply:
I have been fiddling with mine also. Noting that shorts do not seem to have the problem. So I shortened a long rifle round by nipping the tip off the bullet and reshaping to bullet shape ending up with a round that is 0.825" long vs. the standard long rifle of 1.000". This seemed to cycle better, not as prone to pop up. Like the short, the rim was a bit ahead of where the carrier was holding it back with the long rifle.

I agree, there must have been a tolerance variation between various manufacturing dates which accounts for why we haven’t seen the problem with some Henrys.

I bet a decent gun smith could do some minor smoothing of the carrier in the area where it interferes with the rim of the cartridge and the problem would be fixed.

What do ya think? One of them thar things. :-)

Red S.

This is by no means intended to denigrate Henry but rather shed some light on what is a minor problem that they surely will like to address in tuning thier production of this fine rifle.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd call Anthony at Henry directly.
If there is a qc issue, he definitely will want to know about it.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical View Post
I got my Goldenboy 22 mag for Christmas and ran a whole brick of stingers through it on Christmas day.
I didn't know they made CCI Stingers for the Henry 22 Magnum (Model H004M).

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My bad. Must have had my head up my ass when I wrote that. They were win 30g vmax. Sorry.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #26

I have shot a few of the Henry lever 22's and have had the same issue. I came to the conclusion that they just had to be cycled fast. They jammed exactly like yours when cycled slow. I never really thought it was a design problem, just thought they were meant to be cycled fast.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They do specifically suggest you cycle the lever quickly but I'm not sure I agree that a limitations like that, to ensure the weapon functions correctly is appropriate especially for a company that prides itself on the quality of its firearms. I love my Henry but as a firearms professional I would view this need to cycle rapidly as a negative. As I said in a previous post, I'm personally unable to duplicate the failure to cycle/feed but apparently the are enough people out there experiencing this problem that it must be a real issue, at least on some guns rom Henry.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, the mechanism on those Henry .22 levers is ridiculously simple. There's only about 4 moving parts in the whole thing.

But then that's also why they are relatively inexpensive.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #29

Stopped by a gunsmith, Henry dealer. He confirmed that there is a problem with my Henry. He said he would contact the factory and discuss it with them.

As a reference: The friends Henry S/N is 116XXXH, while the two I have are in the 536XXXH to 544XXXH range. So it would appear that some changes have crept in over the time frame between the production of these Henrys.

Last edited by redscho; 02-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have to call Henry today on another matter. They're pretty up front about things like that so I'll ask if it's a systemic / known issue and report back. The OP was referring to the H01? Does anyone have similar issues with any of the other models. As I said in a previous post, I can't duplicate the problem even with crap ammo.

Last edited by Belltactical; 02-01-2012 at 12:28 PM.