Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Henry Lever action jamming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/henry-lever-action-jamming-54644/)

redscho 01-02-2012 08:43 PM

Henry Lever action jamming

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone had a problem with the Henry lever action Model H001 jamming if the lever is not worked fast enought. The nose of the round seems to pop up above the entrance to the barrel. Seems to happen with any brand of 22 LR standard Fedeeral to CCI Stingers, shorts on the otherhand feed normally.

Paladin201 01-02-2012 09:42 PM

Never had that issue with my Henry, no matter how fast I cycle it. Henry's have a ridiculously simple action, which is why they're usually so reliable. The cartridge is lifted by the lift gate only high enough for the the bolt to pick it up coming forward. And when operating properly, the cartridge should be laying flat in the action until the bolt pushes it forward into the feed ramp and then up into the breach. My first guess, and it's just that, a guess, is that their may be a catch or nick in the feed ramp. It's really soft metal and easily damaged. Or possibly some dirt, metal filing, etc. Some sort of obstruction that prevents the bullet from riding smoothly up the ramp and into the breach. If there is some sort of obstruction, the bullet could catch on it, causing the nose to pop up and stub against the top of the breach, as you are seeing. The only other thing I can think of is that something is obstructing the lifter as it rises. It's spring loaded and if it caught on something and then came free it would snap up rather than rising smoothly, which again could cause the bullet to pop up like that. Make sure the feed tube plunger isn't coming too far back into the action and catching the front of the lifter. It should stick out about a 1/4 of an inch into the action, but should stop short of the lifter. Again, all just guesses. Not much to go wrong with those things.

redscho 01-02-2012 09:44 PM

Thanks, I think you nailed the problem. I have made arrangements to return it to Henry for fixing the problem. Still love that little rifle. I noted that in two of my friends Henrys that they don't have the problem.

Hawg 01-02-2012 09:45 PM

Never had a problem with my Golden Boy either, no matter how fast or slow you go with it.

redscho 01-03-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 665665)
Never had a problem with my Golden Boy either, no matter how fast or slow you go with it.

Good to know it is not a common problem. I'm sure Henry people will fix it. I really like this little rifle otherwise.

dks7895 01-03-2012 12:29 PM

Henry's customer service is awesome. They will make it right, and turn around will be quick. They are a lot of fun to shoot.

od green 01-03-2012 04:09 PM

I have 2 questions, Is the gun new and also if you short stroke the lever it could cause the problem. If it's new and you haven't shot it much it maybe needs more time to break in, with both mine the Hoo1 and Hoo1M we started out working the lever with a little more authority and things really smoothed out after a few hundred rounds. But if you have to send it back Henry will make it right, best customer svc in the biz. Hope this helped. Also check the tube plunger to make sure it's color is orange, I've heard of very rare occurrences but has happened you might have gotten one for the H0901M.

redscho 01-03-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by od green (Post 666299)
I have 2 questions, Is the gun new and also if you short stroke the lever it could cause the problem. If it's new and you haven't shot it much it maybe needs more time to break in, with both mine the Hoo1 and Hoo1M we started out working the lever with a little more authority and things really smoothed out after a few hundred rounds. But if you have to send it back Henry will make it right, best customer svc in the biz. Hope this helped. Also check the tube plunger to make sure it's color is orange, I've heard of very rare occurrences but has happened you might have gotten one for the H0901M.

It bought it just before Thanksgiving, has no more than 50 rounds fired through it. Tube plunger is orange. Lever was not short stroked ever. If you don't operate the lever briskly that is when the trouble occurs. Stange that it loads 22 shorts without a problem. I have every confidence that Henry will make it right. They are sending me a prepaid UPS shipping label. Can't ask for better service than that.

big shrek 01-05-2012 04:58 AM

I would have waited until I'd passed the 500-round mark...lots of things need a little time to "wear-in"...
much like car/motorcycle engines need the first few thousand miles to get working right.

Of course, for me, that's One Day at the range...I can crack thru 500-1000 rounds pretty easily :D

Paladin201 01-05-2012 01:33 PM

I bet, especially with that Calico in your pic. Saw one at a gun show the other day and wanted it so bad, but they wanted too much for it.

Henry lever action 22's shouldn't need a break in though. That action is just too simple and so reliable that if its not working, something is wrong.