Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Henry lever action .17 hmr (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/henry-lever-action-17-hmr-87535/)

kjdeut 03-27-2013 05:06 AM

Henry lever action .17 hmr

I have a Henry lever action .17 hmr that I have some concerns about and would like to get others option. It is a brand new rifle I have shot maybe 200 -250 rounds with. Out of those 200 or so I have had 3 rounds that have split at the rim resulting in blow back into my face, 1 of the 3 the rim blew completely off with the rest of the casing staying in the barrel. It was easily removed so it wasnt swelled or jammed it.
This happened on 2 separate trips to the range and 2 different brands of ammo. This Henry is my first .17 rifle but I have shot .22 cal hand guns and rifles since I was a kid and never have had this happen.
My first question is this a rifle or ammo problem? I was first thinking ammo but then it happened again with a completely different brand so now I am not so sure. Is there something I should be checking on the rifle?
I also noticed that the barrel gets hot really fast. I figured that was from the .17s being so "hot". Could the hot barrel be causing the the casings to split? that is about the only thing, other then the gun, that all 3 instances have in common. None of them occurred when I first started shooting and the barrel was cool.
I emailed Henry but haven't heard back yet so I thought I would see what others thought while I was waiting.
Thanks for your help
Ken

apwvsd40ve 03-27-2013 12:16 PM

While I don't have an answer..I would say take it to a gunsmith and show them the casings....and I would not shoot it again until you do! Safety first!

mrt8110 03-27-2013 01:07 PM

Henry lever action .17 hmr

I had the same problem.I called & sent it in on their tab. They replaced the bolt and barrel. When I got it back there was a space between the barrel & receiver that a matchbook cover would fit in.I called back and spoke to Mr.Imperato said he would look into it and to send the rifle back again on their tab. I received a brand new rifle from HRAC in less than 2 weeks. My advice is to call. HRAC customer service is awesome :) Cliff

kjdeut 03-29-2013 06:43 AM

Heard back form the tech lead at Henry and they asked me to send it back to their gunsmith could take a look. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label so all I need to do se box it up good and ship it out. I will have it on the way Monday and wait to see what happens. I will let everyone know once I hear back form them.

Ken

apwvsd40ve 03-29-2013 04:48 PM

Awesome! Good luck!

mrt8110 03-31-2013 01:50 AM

I will be be very surprised if you are not completely satisfied! Cliff

kjdeut 03-31-2013 06:34 PM

Hey Cliff, Do you mean "not completely satisfied"?

Ken

mrt8110 04-01-2013 06:11 PM

kjdeut ,yes I did and I just fixed it!