Henry AR7 Survival Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry AR7 Survival Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Henry AR7 Survival Rifle

I ran across mention of the AR7 Survival Rifle, evidently now produced by Henry the other day and it got me curious. Seems like a neat concept, everything breaks down and fits in the buttstock. Sounds like it would be a great idea for a BOB, or more realistically, to have around in the back of a vehicle for targets of opportunity (plinking).

Does anyone have any experience with them? Opinions? Thoughts? Ideas?

Edit: Never mind. I did use the search function, but nothing on the rifle came up. As soon as I started this thread, I noticed it listed in the "Similar Threads" area below. Go figure.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Last edited by DocWard; 09-23-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was intriged by them as well so I went to the local gun shop to see one. I found it to be less then hoped for in terms of what I would call quality and durability.

I have heard other say that the composit barrel is flimsy and can easily be bent, and the action jams frequently on common ammo. In additon, accuracy is deemed to be at best minimal.

For it's inteded usage, it has a place and would be a whole lot better than nothing, but unless I really needed a 16" footprint for storage, I think just about any other carbine style .22 would be better.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Doesn't Marlin make a breakdown .22? It's another option.

Marlin Model 70PSS Stainless

Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had an Armalite AR-7 when they were making them. (before Henry) I fired it a lot and it worked flawlessly. It worked good for stuffing in a back-pack. I gave it to my Son a couple of years ago and he hasn't broke it yet as far as I know. Not sure how the newer "Henry made" ones are.

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #5

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I have one from Charter arms. It works fine and accuracy is on par with most 22's. A friend recently bought a new Henry one. His works fine and accuracy is good. The Henry's allow for 2 magazines to be stored in the butt.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

I think they work fine for what they are for, mine has never failed to shoot & accuracy is just as good as you would expect from a take down rifle.

ar-7.jpg  

When all else fails.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think if the opportunity arises, I will pick one up. It isn't something I will go out of my way to order, though. I suppose part of the interest for me is the history of its original purpose and the designer. Seems I have had my hands wrapped around one of Mr. Stoner's designs for a good portion of my adult life.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by docward View Post
i think if the opportunity arises, i will pick one up. It isn't something i will go out of my way to order, though. I suppose part of the interest for me is the history of its original purpose and the designer. Seems i have had my hands wrapped around one of mr. Stoner's designs for a good portion of my adult life.

Hoorah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When all else fails.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #9

I've had a Charter Arms Ar7 since the 1970s. I carried it in my travel trailer for 30 years. An interesting and unique little rifle but pretty cheaply made. When I see what Henry is charging for them I am shocked. It is a $100 rifle at best.

Just be forewarned that the barrel tends to loosen up when shooting. You have to constantly re-tighten it. The front sight also has a tendency to loosen up. They don't like hollow points. The stock is fat and clumsy feeling, not really very easy to store.

When I took mine canoeing or out hiking I usually swapped the stock and carried as below.....a lot more compact.