You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

henry 22 lever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
The new Henry Co. manufactures rifles that were originally patented by Henry Repeating Arms.
Ummm, no, they don't.

Quote:
there were no .22 cal rifles in the mid 1800's,
The .22 was first used in 1845 in the Flobert target rifle.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #32

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Ummm, no, they don't.
Ummmm yes they do! When Oliver Winchester's foray into the firearms business in 1855 failed in 1857 (Volcanic Rifle Company), hebought the remains and established the New Haven Arms Company. The companies sole asset was the Volcanic Rifle, which was not very successful. Winchester instructed Benjamin Tyler Henry to improve it and turn it into a saleable product. In October of 1860 Henry patented the first lever action, which fired the .44 Rimfire, which he also designed. The mechanism involved a toggle lock beneath the breech bolt, which activated by the lever, withdrew the bolt and then raised a cartridge from a tubular magazine beneath the barrel. The return movement of the lever rammed a cartridge home, closed the breech, and firmly locked the toggle. An external hammer fired the rifle, having been automatically cocked by the backstroke of the breech block. It was later improved upon by John Browning for the Winchester Repeating Arms Co., but EVERY lever action ever built was done so on Henry's basic design, therefore, Henry of today is making guns based on Henry of yesteryear - in fact they make a model which is close replica of the original with the exception of caliber and modern materials.

Quote:
The .22 was first used in 1845 in the Flobert target rifle.
Wrong! Flobert invented the first "rimfire" (improper nomenclature) by inserting a pellet into a percussion cap, for indoor target shooting. It wasn't until much later that the .22 BB cap and a 9mm version were introduced, and neither were used in THIS country since Flobert was a Parisian.
It wasn't until 1884 that Winchester introduced the first repeating rifle made in this country for the .22 rimfire cartridge, which was also the same rifle made by Winchester fo a centerfire cartridge - the 1873 Winchester. In fact, to commermorate the man responsible for the compaies fortunes, every .22 rimfire cartridge made by Winchester had an "H" stamped on the case head to honor Benjamin Tyler Henry...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #33

Quote:
EVERY lever action ever built was done so on Henry's basic design, therefore, Henry of today is making guns based on Henry of yesteryear
That's like saying every bolt action is a Mauser.

Quote:
in fact they make a model which is close replica of the original with the exception of caliber and modern materials.
And which one would that be pray tell? Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

Other than being brass framed lever actions none of these bear any resemblance to an 1860 Henry nor do they load or operate like one.

This is as close to an 1860 Henry as you can get with the exception of caliber and modern materials. Uberti 1860 Henry Lever Action Repeating Rifle

Old 07-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #34

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Hawg;133781]That's like saying every bolt action is a Mauser.

No...no it's not..Let me type this slowly so you can understand it - B.T. Henry INVENTED the lever action rifle....Wilhelm and Paul Mauser DEVELOPED the bolt action and took it to it's current state of perfection. The bolt action however was a work in progress since 1812 when Samuel Jean Pauly developed the "breech seal" and also developed the centerfire primer - two developments which opened the door to the perfection of the bolt action, which was started by the Dreyse needle gun. Then came the Swiss with their Vetterli & the Austrian Fruwirth with a tube magazine. The Germans weren't initially interested in Mauser's design, so the original patent was taken out in the U.S. in 1868. We were the last of the major powers to adopt a bolt action rifle, waiting until 1892 to do so. So, saying all bolt action rifles are Mausers would show an ignorance of firearms development, whereas being that there was only ONE inventor of the lever action, Benjamin Henry Tyler, it could be said that ALL lever actions are Henry's...since the original concept and design was his, and virtually ALL modern lever guns utilize the same basic design and operation!

Other than being brass framed lever actions none of these bear any resemblance to an 1860 Henry nor do they load or operate like one.

The all operate like one - the mechanism is the same - the only difference is the loading gate present on the Bowning design allows loading the tubular magazine from the receiver end and not the end of the tube as in the original Henry of 1860.

This is as close to an 1860 Henry as you can get with the exception of caliber and modern materials.

This is true - the Uberti is an exact replica of the Henry in all apsects
Enough of the history lesson, this thread has gotten far enough off course...

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-24-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Enough of the history lesson, this thread has gotten far enough off course...
That's the only thing you are right about. Nuff said. I'm out of it. Think what you want.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #36

I would love to buy a golden boy Henry 22, but I cant get used to the feel of the stock with its sharp drop. I am used to winchesters and Marlins.

Is there some trick to it?.........other than putting your chin to the stock instead of your cheek?

Tell me how I can get the stock to feel comfortable and I will buy a golden boy tomorrow.

The 17 and 22 magnum seem to have less angle drop, so I was thinking maybe taking off the golden boy factory stock, and putting the .17 stock on the golden boy .22................. if it would fit?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #37

I have a lever action Henry as well, and it is pretty accurate. It does what I want it to BUT....sometimes when you chamber another round the round will flip up and get stuck..you got to use your finger or a knife to get the round out. I did some reading on them a while back and they guys said they will do this because ther are made to use 22 shorts, longs, and longrifle...The tolerances have to be loose in order to be able to adjust to these different rounds..It make sence, but I have a pump 22 as well and it will eat any round you throw at it..Don't get me wrong I like the gun and it was cheap, got it at Wal-Mart for 150 bucks or so a few years ago. It works well and as long as you keep it clean it works well. You kind of get what you pay for...

Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #38

I picked up a Henry 001 a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the prices are a bit higher here in Hawaii because I paid $329 at Sports Authority (Walmart doesn't sell firearms here). I also picked up a new 10/22 from Sports Authority for $239.

I picked up a thousand rounds of Blazers and headed to the range over the weekend. Both rifles were off zero. The 10/22 was eventually dialed in pretty well after some elevations adjustments almost bottoming out the rear sight. As for the Henry, I'm about 8" to the right at 50yds. Grouping was adequate given the limits of my eyesight with open sights.

The front sight on my Henry has a protective shroud. From what I can tell there isn't an adjustment for the front sight should the front shroud be removed. A guy at the range said that he thinks I might have to ping the rear sight to the left to remedy the problem.

I've resigned to the idea of mounting a scope on the Henry to gain a windage adjustment. My son has a 3-9x scope from a broken airsoft sniper rifle of his that we plan to use once I find some rings.

Regardless of the scope, I would very much like to have the open sights be more functional so that I might enjoy the "traditional" aspect of the rifle. Shipping the rifle to Henry is an option however since I live in Hawaii the turn-around time is a concern. Any DYI suggestions would be appreciated.

Henry/Ruger 10/22 comparison? Sure, why not...
---The Henry looks absolutely awesome. The action is smooth as silk, its light and the trigger pull feels just as good as the action. This gun is a blast to shoot and I am very glad I bought it. I'm sure there will be many years of entertainment provided by my Henry once I get the sighting issues worked out.
---The Ruger is decent enough looking but a far cry from the Henry's finish. The Ruger shoots extremely well however I'm not happy with the heavy trigger. I'm already looking for a trigger kit. The difference in trigger pull between the Ruger and Henry is dramatic. I will eventually install a drop-in kit for a lighter pull. I really feel the Ruger will benefit greatly with the addition of a scope and will become a really enjoyable plinker.

Well, that's enough for now. Thanks for reading and I look forward to all helpful advice.
Aloha!
5o

Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #39

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Five-Oh, the rear sight is dovetailed into the barrel so you can drift it to the left to adjust your windage..

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock17TJ View Post

....sometimes when you chamber another round the round will flip up and get stuck..you got to use your finger or a knife to get the round out.

guys said they will do this because ther are made to use 22 shorts, longs, and longrifle...The tolerances have to be loose in order to be able to adjust to these different rounds..\

It make sence, but I have a pump 22 as well and it will eat any round you throw at it...

No, just as you suspect, it does NOT make sense.

Tolerances do NOT have to be loose.

Just like your pump, Marlin 39's are also made to take short long or long rifle, and they do not get stuck.