help me and my ".22 out of a jam"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > help me and my ".22 out of a jam"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help me and my ".22 out of a jam"

So I recently purchased a Colt M4 in .22, figured it would be some fun shooting that wont put too many holes in my college budget. (as small a target as it may be ) Gun looks great, dressed up the rails with a red-dot and forward grip and took it to camp.

1st 1000 rounds went by with one or two jams (firing Winchester 333 hollow-points) and then it happened, jams, every 4-5 shots, before you ask, yes I cleaned it several times and oiled it... My friend also purchased the same model though with carry handle and no rails and his jammed every 2-3 rounds from the start... I have tried the other only other brand at the local gun shop near camp, which happened to be Remington thunderbolts, these will not even chamber or eject

I figured I should get some input rather than damaging me or my rifle. I realize these are cheap-o rounds, though when it comes to quality .22 in a rimfire semi-auto, what should I try

I should add that between my buddy and I we have about 12 years worth of M4-M16 cleaning/maintenance experience from the army, so the weapons are properly cleaned and cared for

any advice is appreciated

thank you, in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

CCI makes some good ammo, but that may not be the problem.

I wish I could say for sure what the problem is though.

Is this happening with all magazines? Have you tried other ammo?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was wondering if the amo is hanging up in the mag. Try cleaning it with break cleaner let dry thoughly and try some dry grafite.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
CCI makes some good ammo, but that may not be the problem.

I wish I could say for sure what the problem is though.

Is this happening with all magazines? Have you tried other ammo?
Will give it a try, thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
I was wondering if the amo is hanging up in the mag. Try cleaning it with break cleaner let dry thoughly and try some dry grafite.
F.K.
This was on of my initial thoughts, in the army our mags were junk half the time, but these are brand new and the problem persists between 4 different magazines, thank you for the advice man

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

Default Waxed Ammo?

I had a guy mention something about waxed ammunition working well, is this something you buy? or a do it at home job?
furthermore, I cannot imagine the inside of my rifle looking too great after firing this stuff.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so far as i know a lot of .22lr ammo is wax coated, I know about 50% of the random crap ive fed through my ruger have been wax coated I can't say that it's made a noticeably bigger mess or performed any worse.

just for the record, .22LR M4 <----- god yes, that would be even more fun that my ruger!

Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

First things first Remington thunderbolts are knowns as Thunderturds on Rimfire central. It is true too they are the worst shooting bulk 22lr ammo out there. Might want to try Federal automatch slightly more but made for semiautos. Also look into shooting CCI Stingers they are a tad hotter and can make cycling the bolt faster.

What are you lubing with? Grease, oil, combo or that nasty military CRAP CLP?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sig recommends CCI Mini Mag for their rim fires. At the range we recommend CCI Mini Mags for all auto-loaders with much success. The Mini Mags aren't the highest priced but tend to cycle the best in all firearms. The Mini Mag are by far the number 1 selling rim fire ammunition at the range.

Good Luck. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 08-07-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #10

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I bought my daughter the same gun and had a ton of FTF and FTE issues.

She wanted to go pink so I accommodated her with the installation of a Ergo pink hand grip.

Presto, the jamming issues completely gone!!! Maybe you should go pink?

Oh yea, at the same time of the grip swap thingie we ran out of Remington Thundercrap ammo. We bought some Blazer 22lr but I doubt that had anything to do with the jams.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello