Help me identify this rifle, please.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Help me identify this rifle, please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help me identify this rifle, please.

A friend of mine brought this to me to help identify it and to know what kind of ammo it needed. I figured eventually the ammo, which is 22lr rimfire. But when trying to identify the exact model, I failed bitterly. The only writings on it are:
St etienne / 5.5 / AR (with a crown like drawing above those two letters) / 2979

What I want to know is:
- Value.
- Accuracy.
- Best ammo for it. (hunting small game and maybe deer too)

I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to firearms, so sorry if it's a stupid question:
Does 22lr have centerfire ammo too? If there is, which have a longer effective range?

Thanks in advance.

22lr-1.jpg   22lr-2.jpg   22lr-3.jpg   22lr-4.jpg   22lr-5.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7464 Times on 4070 Posts
Likes Given: 15357

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacture_d'armes_de_Saint-%C3%89tienne

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfberht
A friend of mine brought this to me to help identify it and to know what kind of ammo it needed. I figured eventually the ammo, which is 22lr rimfire. But when trying to identify the exact model, I failed bitterly. The only writings on it are: St etienne / 5.5 / AR (with a crown like drawing above those two letters) / 2979 What I want to know is: - Value. - Accuracy. - Best ammo for it. (hunting small game and maybe deer too) I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to firearms, so sorry if it's a stupid question: Does 22lr have centerfire ammo too? If there is, which have a longer effective range? Thanks in advance.

I'm letting you know this now, do not attempt to hunt anything bigger then a squirrel or gopher with a .22LR. That's about all the average person can do. It's also considered illegal is many places to use any rimfire on larger game. As for having centre fire ammunition, that's a no. When you hear the term "centre fire .22" it's referring to a larger case capacity/caliber.

Quick question that's going to bug me if I don't ask, is that a suppressor on the end of the barrel? And also, if you know very little about firearms, how come your friend brought his rifle over for you to identify?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I checked that page and the only thing that made sense concerning my research was: Carabine semi automatique de 5,5mm, 1946 (.22 LR)
As you can see there is no defined model just a mere description. And when I googled it I didn't find the rifle in the images. Maybe its picture is simply not available in the internet. It's kinda odd though. Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't worry about laws. Owning any weapon is illegal where I live. But if the reason for not hunting big game with rimfire is because it causes too much pain or doesn't kill right away, then I wouldn't do it. If there is a better reason I'd like to know. As I said I don't know anything about firearms.

My friend asked me to google it up, and simply compare pictures. I'm good with internet, and my English is not too bad. That's the main reason he asked me to help him.

And yes, that is a suppressor.

Thanks for your response.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

.22 lr ammo doesn't give reliable penetration or deliver enough energy and tissue damage to RELIABLY put large game down in a humane or quick manner. Hunting deer sized game, it could result in a lot of lost game that die slowly, and result in no meat for your effort.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2234 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 1159

Ulfberth
The 22LR is strictly rimfire. There are other calibers in the 22 category. In fact the 5.56 is basicaly a 22 cal bullet. The "5.5" may me a metric equivalent of 22LR. The French always use metric units (their invention) If you look at the bolt face, the firing pin position will tell you. The rifle looks like a trainer, which is usually rimfire. Probably a MAS (where S is for saint etienne) I am sure there are collectors out there who will give you a positive id.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

As said- you have a semi automatic caliber .22 Long Rifle. Made in France at St. Etienne arsenal. I see you are in Algeria- here in the US, silencers are regulated like machine guns.

At 50 meters the rifle you have should be very accurate- which is about the upper limit on accuracy for .22 Rimfire cartridges. Should be a very good target rifle, or for small game (nothing larger than a rabbit. The cartridge simply does not have the energy to humanely and quickly kill a large animal such as a deer.

Value of those runs in the $300-$350 range in US dollars- here in the US, more with the silencer. However, prices in other places are all over the place, cannot advise you.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. You guys have been very helpful. I like this forum already.

The reason for not hunting a big game with a 22lr convinced me. I won't do it.

Like you said, prices are quite different here. This rifle was in a two rifles deal. This and a steyr mannlicher model m with a cost that is roughly the equivalent of 19800$.

Unfortunately, I won't be the one buying them, but he's a friend of mine, and once he secures the ammo, I may get to shoot them.

Again, thanks everyone.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Glad you could get answers, also hope you stick around for a while.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

MisterMcCool Likes This