Help an ignorant shooter with his scope mount?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Help an ignorant shooter with his scope mount?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Help an ignorant shooter with his scope mount?

I bought a 10-22 and Bushnell cheapo scope at Wally-World. It was all I could afford. The scope mount seems to be a joke, or maybe I just don't know any better. What do I replace with better parts? The mount that came with the rifle, or the rings that came with the scope, or both? And how much will this set me back? I think they are 1" rings. You can see here it seems to be hanging on for dear life. Any help would be appreciated.

12FRETTER

Last edited by 12fretter; 04-11-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You need rings with a wider base that fit the standard rail, go back to wally world and they sell many different size rings, just get standard rail size rings. looks like the rings you have are for a BB gun rail.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1359 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

I've had very good results with this

Ruger 10/22 Scope Mount Keylock 2-Ring Black

about $42

Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Considering the distances and the rifle you are shooting, many scopes can be up to the task of providing the reasonable accuracy you desire, including your Bushnell. However, with that said most ring sets that come with scopes as part of the package aren't worth a hoot. Do yourself a favor and spend another $20-$40 to get yourself a good set of 1" rings that will fit the standard Weaver base and you'll be good to go. The larger (wider) portion of the 10/22 scope mount that came with your rifle is for the Weaver sized rings. As I recall, there are slots in the base where the ring through-bolt to tighten the rings should be located.

Note: When selecting some new rings I find "medium height" is the best fit.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 04-11-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

most those mounts that come w/the 10/22 are 3/8's dovetail base...either get a cheap 3/8's type scope or rings or change it over to a 7/8 weaver....looks like you could open up your thumb knobs on rings a bit and drop it down to the next platform?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
looks like you could open up your thumb knobs on rings a bit and drop it down to the next platform?
Nope, not even close to being able to do that with the length of the threads of the thumbscrews.

So, if I understand everything right now, I don't have to change the mount on the rifle, I just have to get rings from Walmart to fit the mount?

12FRETTER

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

The mount you have is a dovetail or tipoff mount. You can either change the mount to a weaver type and use the rings you have or replace both. A set of Millet 1" rings and a new base will cost less than $50 and you will be happier afterwards. Otherwise at a minimum you need tipoff rings to fit that mount. This will limit any future use of the scope as most centerfire rifles will require a more robust setup than the 10-22.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Don't buy anything yet. I rummage through my spare parts bin and see if I have what you need, if I do its yours.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

12fretter

As JPyle stated! That rail you have is the main culprit in you situation. It is not the proper rail with the multiple level situation it has. With the extra rail surface on top it keeps your present rings from working. As he has stated the folks on the forum are tops and willing to help. You have a great little rifle and the scope will probably do what you want it too! But if you get the base problem solved you will be good to go. Of course as has been stated Weaver bases and rings are hard to beat. And not susceptible to allowing changes in the rifles zero due to dropping or bumping. Thanks to JPyle maybe he has some trinkets in his archives!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help guys. Jpyle, I appreciate your offer. Let me know.

12FRETTER