Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Help!!! I need to Identify an OLD Savage .22LR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/help-i-need-identify-old-savage-22lr-44476/)

Fireball531 06-29-2011 06:11 AM

Help!!! I need to Identify an OLD Savage .22LR

3 Attachment(s)
I have this Savage .22 Long rifle right here that is very old having patents from 1905 all the way to 1917 being the most recent. There is NO serial number which leads me to believe that this is not your average .22 Sporter. It is very similar to the 23AA but there are several differences from what I have read only also. The butt plate has the Savage indian/trademark. It is in okay condition and maybe someone can help me ID it through Description or pics. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also could it be a different barrel and stock.? Don't know much about it and the guy at the gun store said he has no clue. Thanks for reading.

danf_fl 06-29-2011 08:43 AM

Welcome to the FTF. Please stop by the "Introductions" area and tell us a little about yourself.

Believe it or not, there was a time when rifles did not have serial numbers.
Pictures alone does not provide enough info to determine if a firearm is shootable or not. A qualified gunsmith would have to have the firearm in his/her hands.

I am guessing that is rust in the trigger area. I would not try to shoot it without a proper disassemble and check on all parts. Springs can be old, broke or non-functioning.

As it is shown, I would not shoot it.

Hawg 06-29-2011 11:23 AM

Serial numbers weren't required until the GCA of 1968. I don't know what model it is but Savages don't have much collector value but the old ones are great shooters. Clean that baby up and give her a whirl.

c3shooter 06-29-2011 12:15 PM

Savage 23A, or possibly the 23AA. Made from 1923 to 1942. In present condition, maybe $45. Good luck finding a magazine for that one. As the guy up there ^ said, no high collector's value, decent shooters. Clean it up, have a smith take a look at it before sending anything downrange.

JonM 06-29-2011 01:26 PM

Serial numbers were used but not always. There was also no requirement to have it visible sometimes they put one under the stock. Take the stock off see if it is hidden.

Fireball531 06-29-2011 04:28 PM

Look, I these are old pictures, since then I've gone through alot of steel wool and some blue wonder gun cleaner. I even broke a cleaning rod cleaning the bore. I realize serial numbers weren't required on anything before 1968, I was just refering to the fact it can't be a sporter because if it was, the serial number would be in between the bolt and the chamber. And yes, I've already set up an appointment with a gunsmith.

RickP 07-08-2011 02:04 PM

I was looking at your pix,and was surprised at the resemblance to my old single shot .22. I have not paid much attention to it other than pulling it out to clean and oil it once in a while,so it came out of the closet today for a peek. It's a Springfield-Savage,Model 120A,and like yours,no serial number. I took it apart out of curiosity and no numbers on the bottom hidden by the stock,either. I remember shooting it years back,and it was very accurate with good ammo.