Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   Help with dating rifle (

ctshooter 12-01-2013 02:26 AM

Help with dating rifle
My wife recently took possession of a rifle after her dad passed.

Winchester model 74 made in new haven conn
Serial # has six digits starting with a 39 ending with 4 followed by the letter A 39xxx4A
Any help would be great

c3shooter 12-01-2013 02:48 AM

1955 I do believe.

ctshooter 12-01-2013 03:19 AM

I thank you very much. I will be posting another year question in another Winchester tomorrow if I can't locate it in the link you posted.

Hawg 12-01-2013 12:46 PM

Help with dating rifle
Flowers and candy?:D

JTJ 12-01-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 1445876)
Flowers and candy?:D

Chocolate bullets?

ctshooter 12-01-2013 01:08 PM

She's not that kind of rifle. As she sits now she's from the other side of the tracks kind of girl. A wink and a moon pie and she is good to go.

My fil loved to use wd:40 on his guns for some god awful reason. This thing is packed with goo. Took 45 min actually closer to an hour just to clean the breach face area. The bolt assy. Is actually gummy. When my step son was getting ready to head off to the Navy he wanted to try out the 12 ga, I don't have one yet, so he would know what go expect at basic. Long story short my FIL actually said to me when I brought back the mossy that something doesn't seem right with it...... Told him I took it all the way down and scrubbed, cleaned, and lubed it. ( after I did the cleaning she cycled so smooth) so what's he do???? You guessed sprays the hell out of it with WD !!! I just shook my head and left.

tomon 12-27-2013 12:18 AM

Hey, C3...........Checking out sites and saw you being a bigwig here!Q Hope all is well. Over on GA/AA we lost AIC last week. Some kind of flu pneumonia heart thing. Bummer! A couple of the guy who got run off AA are starting their own forum & classifieds and right now is by invite only. tomon