Hd controversy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Hd controversy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2129 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 770

In a defensive situation, your goal is to stop or kill the assailant... not to make him feel bad.

If the .22 is all I have, then it is a good thing that a .22 allows for more shots on target in quick time than any other round. But there is no getting around the fact that the .22 is a significant compromise.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #12

Liked 2497 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2403

I really think if you are going to have a weapon for SD it should be something made for that. The old argument that it is better than nothing is just so illogical. A bicycle is better than walking but I don't think anyone is going to give up their car. Yes by all means if you are out plinking with your 22 and you need to defend yourself, use it. But why would anyone buy a 22 for the purpose of SD.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8598

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I really think if you are going to have a weapon for SD it should be something made for that. The old argument that it is better than nothing is just so illogical. A bicycle is better than walking but I don't think anyone is going to give up their car. Yes by all means if you are out plinking with your 22 and you need to defend yourself, use it. But why would anyone buy a 22 for the purpose of SD.
I think if someone feels they can only handle a .22, then it should be a .22 that they have at bedside.

I, myself, would reach for my .357 revovler first and foremost.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the 22 has been and is used as HD weapon. i don't personally feel it's the best choice nor would it be my first choice. IMO, it just doesn't have the proper stopping power of larger centerfire calibers do. yes we can argue that people have been killed with one well placed shot from a 22, but this just isn't common, and i wouldn't want to trust my safety and well being to chance and luck. remember, in this type of situation, it will be stressful and you might not be afforded the opportunity to take slow and careful aim.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I'm getting a 40 s&w carbine tomorrow ...that'll be at my bedside

@TooStrongTerry

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wife has a FNX40 at the bedside. I have the mossy 500. I'm just Ole Cletus on clean up. She'll nail anything before I even wake up.

40 loaded with Federal HST and the mossy has Remy #1 buck.

We also have an AK at the ready and a 9mm. But the 9 is not impressive, definitely does not penetrate like the 40. The AK is for quick response to OWS/Zombies/SHTF.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have seen people shot with .22 rounds, in the head, where the bullet followed the contour of the skull around the head. It couldn't penetrate the thicker frontal plate. This could very well have been the angle the shooter was at when shooting, but I have only PERSONALLY responded to three GSW calls in my EMS career... One was a 9mm that entered in the mans left chest, crossed through and punctured his right lung, and exited the right back next to the scapula. The second was a self inflicted GSW to the head, a .45 caliber 1911 (not a bad looking piece, I'll give him that) that entered through the roof of his mouth and did significant damage through and out the top of his head. The third was the .22 shooting where the man got hit twice, once in the arm and once in his head, entering his left forehead and following the contour of the skull around to the rear left portion of his head and editing there. Head wounds bleed a bit, but this was a lucky man. I have heard of this happening before, specifically with the .22 caliber, and haven't heard so much about, nor seen evidence of, a larger caliber performing in this manner. If all I have is a .22, let em fly. If I have access to a 9mm, .40, .45, or rifle/shotgun, then I'll choose one of those.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #18

Liked 2454 Times on 1592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
If I let the old lady drive and she freaks out and takes out a mailbox, fire hydrant, and a park bench, then says "I'm more comfortable on a bicycle", she's gonna ride the damn bike! If all she is comfortable with is a .22, by all means let her use it.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

When dealing with self defense when you pull the trigger it should go boom every single time. Spend any time at all plinking with a 22lr and you will experience clicks instead of booms.

Rimfire priming systems have a terrible track record of spotty ignition. With a gun like a ruger mk series failure drill is fast and the only real issues are fail to fire due to faulty ammo. The click no boom is just not something i care to ever experience in a sd situation.

Zombies dont shoot back you got time for failure drills.

If all i have at hand is one of my 22lr i will use it but i try never to be in that situation.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #20

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I agree a 22 lacks the stopping power of any of the larger calipers. But for say my wife for instance only feels completely comfortable shoots my 22's and has no problem getting it in her hand if things don't seem right. So I have trained her on my 22 revolver a high standard the marshall 9 shot. I told her if she ever needs to pull the trigger keep shooting until she here's a clck with no boom.
+1

When asked why she shot the goblin nine times her answer should always be, "I ran out of ammo."

"It's not enough to shoot them until you think they're dead, you have to shoot them until they think they're dead."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello