H & R 5200 Target Rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > H & R 5200 Target Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default H & R 5200 Target Rifle

I just bought a NIB H&R 5200 target rifle.
Does anyone else here have one ? They were also made for the DCM and called the Model 12. They were only made for about 4 years in the 1980's, not really a rare rifle, but no real common either.

They are an almost exact copy of the Winchester 52 Target Rifle. They do not have the fit and really nice stock of the Win, but have an action, 2 lug, single shot like the Win., the big target stock with rail and better quality barrel than other H&R rifles have. They look like the Win 52, just not as nicely finished.

I've read that some have got them to shoot as good or better than the Win 52 by bedding, re crowning the muzzle and having the bore correctly lapped.

It won't be here for about 2 weeks, but I'm looking forward to working on it.
I have full use of a full service gunsmithing shop (savagegunsmithing) that's really well equipped, so I can make whatever mods I want to it.
When I retired from gunsmithing , I sold everything but my hand tools, so I'm very lucky to have a shop theat I can work out of.

If anyone else has one of these, I'd love to see pics and hear of your experience with them. They are not a Winchester 52, but they can be made it to a very good shooting rifle, one that surprises a lot of people at the range. I know of one guy that has the Model 12 version, and it shoots like it has eyes.

Jon K

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Win 52B, and an H&R M-12. The Win will outshoot the H&R, but not by leaps, and bounds. The H&R is a good rifle, but the original stock is less than optimal. I bought a semi-inletted blank from Gatewood years ago, and made a thumbhole stock for mine. It's glass bedded, and does pretty good for a Winchester clone.... If you need, or want them, I have scans of the original manual and parts list. Go to my toys link in my sig line and scroll down the list.... you'll see the M-12 links...

The M-12 with the original stock on a bipod...

The M-12 with my thumbhole stock, and an old Weaver T-20

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #3

Nice looking stock. I figure I'll bed the action, put in pillars, have the bore professionally lapped and re crown the barrel. That should bring it closer to a 52, time will tell.
I got the box and all the paperwork coming with the rifle, so I should have everything I need as far as that goes. Thanks for the reply.

John K