Gun for my son
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Gun for my son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Gun for my son

I have a 14 year old son who requested a pellet gun for Christmas (Gamo type gun - 1000fps). I looked at the prices of these pellet guns and they are as expensive as a .22 and the reviews are very mixed.

I am considering buying him a basic 22 bolt action. Maybe he can shoot SubSonics in the back yard? I am just having a hard time justifying a $200+ pellet gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Northhike,
I am glad you brought this up. My best buddy is in the market for a gun for his son this christmas. His son really wanted one of the crickets. They can be found around here for about 150 bucks. But then we did some searching. Check out the Ross/BrazTech interchageable barrel rifles. They are pretty cool. You can get them with an assortment of different barrels so that for one price he can have a centerfire, rimfire and shotgun.
It seemed like in my searches that Ables had about the cheapest prices around.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I gotta say, i have REALLY enjoyed the .17 pellet rifle i picked up last year, used. It has allowed for some VERY enjoyable back yard plinking & tree rat extermination. I have a Daisy break action that is very quiet & uses pellets that cost less even than .22 bulk ammo.

Of course, i still have the basic bolt-action .22 i received for Christmas when i was six, first "real gun".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

The pellet gun would be a slightly better idea. I love the .22, but he is kind of young. If he is alway going to be with you than that might be ok.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchahi View Post
The pellet gun would be a slightly better idea. I love the .22, but he is kind of young. If he is alway going to be with you than that might be ok.
I dunno if i agree with that. I got my first pellet rifle for Christmas when I was 5. I got my first real gun(winchester .22) when I was 8 granted I wasnt aloud to shoot the .22 by myself untill we move a lil futher away from town but still when I was 10 i was in the back yard chasin squirels and rabbits. Take in mind im only 24 now. so this wasnt all that long ago. But i agree with the Rossi thats what my dad got my lil brother when he turned 13(i got a rem 30-30 lever action).

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #6

I have always loved to shoot airguns so just a little input.

First off yes, a .22 rimfire for about $200 dollars will be more accurate than almost all airguns, I will not lie about that. I do own a .22 Gamo CFX airgun and couldn't be more pleased. I personally believe this is on of the most accurate airguns that Gamo makes. The fixed barrel underlever is great and accuracy as well. As for the young factor at 1000 fps or greater I don't really care what is being shot it had better be done carefully.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I personally think 14 is old enough to have a .22, depending on the kid. I like your way of thinking on a single-shot or at least a bolt action, though.

I got my first .22 when I was 13 (20 years ago).

Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #8

Liked 1841 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

My son is 12. He shoots just about everything I own. I am planning on giving him my 9mm soon. I do not let him shoot alone. He has 2 .22 rifles of his own. One is a single shot youth that he quickely outgrew. He started hogging my 10/22 so I finally just gave it to him. He shoots my 30-30 , my SKS and my 308 Win. I trust him with safety more than most of the adults I know.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I agree with Lon, 14 is old enough if he is responsible enough. Check with your local outdoor range, they probably have a junior smallbore program that will reinforce the safety you teach him. It will also help him develop a love for shooting with like minded youth.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I personally think 14 is old enough to have a .22, depending on the kid. I like your way of thinking on a single-shot or at least a bolt action, though.

I got my first .22 when I was 13 (20 years ago).
Do we have an "integrity code" on FTF?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."