Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > A gun for my girl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

wid:

Well, I can't tell you what 22cal. rifle to get YOUR girl, but I can tell you what 22cal. rifle I got for MY girl last week..

First let me say "my girl" is 67 years old, and has been "my girl" now for over 43 years..

I'm sort of a "gun nut", and she has supported me in my little hobby since day one. In fact many times she has loaned me money to buy another gun when my gun budget was bankrupt..

She did that recently in fact.

I saw a 22 cal. Marlin Model 39 (Century Limited) on gunbroker a few weeks ago I thought I could not live without and she was kind enough to add to my kitty so I could afford it.

I had wanted a nice 22 with an octagon barrel and this one was calling my name..

While we we in the gun store picking up my Model 39 she asked the owner if he'd seen any of the little "funny" 22cal. rifles lately.. He didn't have a clue what she was talking about, but I did..

She had seen a Stevens Favorite in a gun store in Fl. back in the early 1970's but at the time we couldn't afford it (apparently we could only afford guns I wanted?).

During the ensuing years many times when we were in gun stores buying or just looking, she'd ask the salesman or owner about the gun, but they never seemed to have any available.

Anyway, when we got back home I got online, and found her a like new Stevens Favorite Model 71 (Centennial version) in Washington State and bought the sucker for her.

My buddy (ffl transfer dealer) called me when the SF came in, and we went down to his store.. She thought we were going to see a gun for me. My buddy showed her the SF and she said HOW MUCH ARE YOU ASKING FOR IT?

He told her, "twenty-five dollars" should do it. (that's what he charges for an ffl transfer)...

Then we laughed and told her it was already paid for and all HERS..

She got her cc permit and DI out and filled out the paperwork, and we brought that sucker home.

We took it out back yesterday and shot it and it is surprisingly accurate.. We only shot from 15 yards or so, but it'll put 'em in the X ring if the shooter will do his/her part.

JoAnn absolutely loves it.. It is a bit unusual, it has the gold plated & brass bling that kinda makes it unique, and the wood and metal finish was surprisingly good.

We lucked up in that it came with the original cardboard box and molded styrofoam case..

I should think for a young girl, or boys first 22cal rifle the Stevens Favorite would be a very, very good choice.

In fact we have a 4 yr. old g-granddaughter who will be getting some plinking with the SF done as soon as she's a few years older.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. It doesn't hurt that our Son's name is Stephen.. Oh yeah, and it also has an octagon barrel..

Last edited by PX15; 02-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #22

Savage makes a beautiful SF that I was eyeballing on line yesterday, they are gorgeous weapons. . . So many decisions. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlindixie View Post
Savage makes a beautiful SF that I was eyeballing on line yesterday, they are gorgeous weapons. . . So many decisions. Thanks for sharing your pics.
You'll never find the perfect gun. That's why we keep buying more.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlindixie View Post

wid:

Thanks..

I'll tell ya I'd never have thought the little SF would be as pretty, or as functional as it has turned out to be..

FWIW, in my limited research the Model 30's (newer than the Model 71's) are not as good as the earlier SF's, and I'm just repeating what I've read on other firearm forums.. If we have a Model 30 owner here perhaps he'/she'll prove me wrong, and that's ok.

There are older SF's available, but I didn't want an SF that might be shot out, or have a problem of one kind or another. I wanted a good one, one that JoAnn could actually shot, safely, and enjoy, so I didn't consider an old, original SF.

The only reason I bring it up is there ARE several Model 71's available on the various online auction sites and IF I were buying another one I'd want another Model 71..

The prices I see for the 71's are all over the board but to give you a ball park figure, I paid $299+$30 shipping/ins. and then $25 to be ffl transfer friend.

JoAnn's SF was advertised LNIB, and came that way. IF I were shopping for another one I'd want another one just like the one we got, and if possible I'd want the original boxes, etc.

Just wanted to let you know how much we paid for JoAnn's in case you were interested at all.

If you look (I think on gunbroker) there is a model 71 there for sale for, I think, $695.00

Someone has put brass tacks in the stock in several places and patterns and the whole effect is pretty hoaky, but apparently the seller has visions of some uninformed buyer showing up with little sense and lotsa money?

I believe I saw another Model 71 for sale advertised as NIB, but I can't remember the starting bid price.

Hope this helps,

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Last edited by PX15; 02-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #25

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

My girlfriend loves my Henry 22.

Chambers 22LR,22, and 22short, and it's just a real fun gun.

Iron sights, @290$ brand new.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Whistlin!

I would suggest the Ruger 10-22. It will probably not shoot shorts. But for the reasonable price that some long rifle cartridges are today and the accuracy they produce. I am not sure shooting 22 Shorts should even be a consideration. I bought my grandsons and one of my nephews sons 22s for Christmas two years ago. They range for 6 to 12 YOA. They love their Rugers and with Pop supervising they have no problems handling them. They are also reliable and you can get all kinds of retro fit options for them and as you stated mount optics on them when the time comes.
Later another rifle comes to mind to graduate form the 22s to the 17HMR. Either a savage with the accutrigger or the Marlin 917-V is a excellent choice. Little to no recoil and both are bolt guns and very very accurate at 100 yards. We are talking 1/2 inch and sometimes when luck has it even less groups at 100 yards. Ammunition runs about $12-15 for 50 at Walmart. They build confidence and are a great little small varmint rifle or target rifle. Flat shooting also with the bullet traveling at around 2500 Feet Per Second. I have many rifles of all calibers from 7mm Rem Mag, 308 and on. But I must be honest I like shooting my Marlin 917-V about as much as all of them and I think I paid around $250.00 for it with out the scope. Put a nice Simmons 1" tube on it. That brings me to a point as a suggestion. When you do put a scope on her new rifle. Put a 1" tube on it for her! Do not put one of those small tube scopes on it. You will be glad you did because she can see much better, she will shoot better and her love for shooting and the confidence will grow because of her success shooting accurately.
Take Care and Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #27

Just out of curiosity, does any one know the difference between Savage's Steven's Favorite S Shot, and the Steven's Favorite Takedown? All I can see is a knobby deally next to the trigger guard on the Takedown and about 35 more dollars. ..

Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #28

Likes Given: 2

I don't know the difference, But obviously a take down can be taken apart and stored in a smaller area or be used for backpacking, So I don't know if it is worth the extra $30.00 or not for you.
FWIW, I bought my daughter a Mossber 802 bolt action Plinkster in Pink, She is 9 and said she wanted a .22 like her brother who is 7, But he has a Henry Youth model .22 lever action.
I don't know what your willing to spend, But I didn't want to spend a bunch on a rifle she may not shoot much, Her Mossberg was $166.00 ordered from Walmart.
Best of luck

Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #29

I wrote in the original post that 500 was my limit, and the rifle that I want is going to be about 450 after dros. As far as whether or not she likes shooting, its not that big a deal to me, I'm making an investment my wife will probably enjoy, or my 5 year old (in a couple of years of course) and quite honestly I will probably enjoy it. ;]

Edited to add: We're all signed up for a shooters safety course tomorrow.

Last edited by whistlindixie; 02-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #30

Default This is my boom stick! Shop smart! Shop s-smart!

To keep you all in the loop:
Turned out she wanted a bolt action rifle. I was in search of a Henry Acubolt because it looked to be about perfect. . . Thick bull barrel, fiber optic sights, and it came scoped. I was just going to take off the scope until I felt she had a decent grip on the fundamentals. All for about 400. Not bad
We got the store and all they had was a Savage MK II for just over $200. . .
The acutrigger, fiber optic sights, tapped for a sope, light and airy as a dream. It is a little big for her, but she should have decent command over it and I don't want to have to buy another rifle for her in 2 years because she's out grown it.

Also all that searchin' for a good rifle translated into Dad gettin' interested in a new plinker. For 90 bucks less than Bass Pro Shop and 50 bucks less than a couple other shops, I picked up a Henry Frontier lever action octagonal barrel. Nice and heavy, sits in your arms like cradling a baby. Now I just gotta get a bigger lever to change out that puny stock one on it and we'll be in business. Its a gorgeous lookin rifle though.

OH yeah, almost forgot!
COLLING OFF PERIOD FAIL!!!!

10 days

NRA ~ first year member
American Legion ~ 5 continuous yrs
Marines ~ Dues Paid Up For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You must be smokin that liberal sissy ass weed brother.

Last edited by whistlindixie; 02-26-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: ANGRY ABOUT CA'S STUPID GUN LAWS