Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > A gun for my girl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlindixie View Post
Well, I am worried she'll get bored with a 22, so I was thinking I'd get her something she could grow into to, but not to worry, I have a 30.06 and a shotgun so there's something for everyone and maybe I'll get something in between too; my wife is bugging me for a pink AR 15.
I'm 48 and am still not bored with 22's In fact it's my fav non training guns to shoot. Two pistols and four rifles and I want more.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Well, I am worried she'll get bored with a 22, so I was thinking I'd get her something she could grow into to, but not to worry, I have a 30.06 and a shotgun so there's something for everyone and maybe I'll get something in between too; my wife is bugging me for a pink AR 15.
You will never be bored with a 22. I got a lot of different types of firearms but always end up plinking away with the 22. Now a real good 22 at the low end is the Marlin 795. I picked mine up for $150 with Bushnel scope. Now don't be to hard on the lever action the Henry is real smooth and will handle all 22 exept 22 mag. It will be a gun she will pass down to her kids. The Golden Boy is not set up for a scope you have to get a kit from Henry to mount one. The other model is easer to mount one. Both Henry's are in you price range. The lever action is as easy to cycle as as a bolt maybe easier. With the bolt I have to move my face to clear the bolt. With the lever I can still keep my eye on the sights.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 02-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 314 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The beauty of the .22 is that the ammo is cheap and plentiful. You can shoot for several hours for next to nothing. Can't do that with any of the larger calibers or a shotgun. I have a 10 year old boy and he can't get enough of shooting with the assortment of .22s that we have.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would have to agree with what others have said here. I got a BB gun when i was 5 and then my first .22 when i was 10 still have it. its a semi-auto tube fed cant remember if its a marlin browning or remington. but still i want my dad's nylon 66. i dont know why but i could shoot better with that 66 then i could with my scoped .22.

always wanted a Henry pump tho...

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would go with the savage . I picked up a savage used with the heavy barrel and acutrigger here in Canada for $200 and it shoots great.
So +1 on the savage.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think the Henry lever-action is a great idea. It shoots .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle and the lever is smooth as silk. You can get the Youth model and then add a regular sized stock later for $30 or so when she's bigger. These are quality rifles at a great price and the company CEO Anthony Imperato will personally make sure you are happy. Also, they have a lifetime warranty - not for the life of the owner, FOR THE LIFE OF THE RIFLE! You could be the 10th owner and still send it back for free repair or replacement. Awesome.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2061 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 745

After helping my brother-in-law pick out a .22 rifle for my 12 year old nephew, we bought an S&W AR 15-22 semi-auto. I can say with all confidence that I would highly recommend a bolt-action to a new shooter that age. I'm just not confident in the maturity of kids that age for a rifle that auto-loads. I was the one who shot with him most of the time. He was getting better, but still made me nervous.

If you find a Savage, get it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #18

Does cycling a lever action mess with your shooting postion? I think about the way I shoot, especially in the prone, and I just envision my self rolling half way over to cock it. . .

Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #19

Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

Got to play with one of these today. I absolutely loved the sights on it. A little worried about the fact that they're fixed and I can't adjust for windage. I get to take my daughter to the range sometime next week. The guy at the range said to let him know when we're coming in and he'll bring his back in. I am so stoked.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #20

Quote:
i have seen a pink ar15, im going to say it pretty cool and its deffinatly different!