Got some .22 ammo finally! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Got some .22 ammo finally!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3232 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoutgunsout View Post
Huh, you would think that .22lr would be the very last thing to have a shortage of!
heh....why do you think it took the whole gun community by complete surprise? i would pass on 22 ammo because a bulk box was $1 more than i wanted to pay or it wasn't copper plated....the good ol days!

some say they saw it coming...i think 90% didn't. the b***h of it all....i bought a 10/22 right before the madness....got to shoot it once....ammo GONE!

it has sat for 4 months at least...got it out and got some rounds through it last week....felt good! like i said...after months, you can find it sometimes now. and when you do find it...you buy it, whatever it is.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Personally, I believe the main reason for the shortage on .22 ammo is the multiple semi automatic rifles that can shoot that caliber. For the AR line: colt, Mossburg, and Smith and Wesson all have ar-15 style rifles that shoot .22 plus there are many other producers making .22 Uzis, stg-44's, scar's, mp5's and other semi models.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #23

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Not just that but you had people literally clearing the shelves.

.22 was always in good supply before because it was nothing to pick up a couple hundred rounds there, a box of 50 here, maybe 500 over there. I think the supply and demand were both fairly steady.

Then you got the shelf clearing panics and suddenly the supply line can't keep up. For awhile I think it was literally being bought just as fast as it was produced. Even now when Academy has stacks of the stuff it still goes in a day despite the 2 box or 1 bulk box limit.

It is getting better but I think you still have some panic buyers out there and combine that with a LOT of new shooters (Thanks, Obama!) the demand is still outpacing supply.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

[/QUOTE]some say they saw it coming...i think 90% didn't. the b***h of it all....i bought a 10/22 right before the madness....got to shoot it once....ammo GONE! [/QUOTE]

Oh i know, i was gonna be a .222 but now everyone moved up to the .223! I guess its just one of those things that happens right?

I kind of agree with glockfanboy, i mean I can go out shooting gophers with my bolt action, shoot about 5 rounds and hit 3-5 gophers. On the other hand, when I go out with my semi auto with my buddies, we could probably go through an entire clip each on one gopher just shooting as fast as we can.. Hahah.. Anywho, its not like we go out and shoot a box of 100rounds each though, but I guess if you go out once or twice a week it adds up! However not everyone shoots like that, and probably most people don't but if its as bad as I hear, shooting gophers and targets doesn't seem like the only reason that an entire country would be short on the ammo. But as crazedjava said, the other part to it could just be some people bulk up on the ammo since it was fairly cheap and people shoot it lots, and when people cant find it they buy it asap

Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #25

Liked 3232 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 2308

those of you having a hard time finding the 22...i really do sympathize. for the last 4-5 months ago i couldn't really shoot my 22's due to the drought...22 was NOWHERE!

but..i waited it out(for months!!)....and things seem to be getting better. i have picked up 1300 rounds of fed automatch this week....just a box at a time, 325 rnd boxes....18 each (a BIT high, but i can live with A BIT high.).

it'll come back....this ammo thing has taught me to settle down and not panic....

IF you can...REFUSE TO OVERPAY....even if it means 50 or 20 round boxes here & there to get you by....it will get better. hold off, don't shoot or cut back...and refuse to get hosed....

best advice i have to offer....