Good .22 for under $300? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Good .22 for under $300?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a Ruger M77/22, Win 61, Win 63. The Ruger does an outstanding job.

It is the only one that has a scope on it. I have it setup for squirrel hunting.

I have no idea what a new one cost. I have had these for several years.

jack

Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
So which is it? 1.5 or 2 moa.
Read my posts again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
[Marlin 925RWS .22lr Bolt-action]... should still shoot near MOA pretty easily.
See, in the sentence, the subject is the Marlin Bolt Action, which should shoot near MOA pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Hell, my stock 10/22 off a cheap BiPod would shoot 2MOA with bulk ammo all day.
My only point was to say that it will be really hard to buy a rifle that is not accurate enough for him to just plink with, which is what he asked for (cans at 100 yards, golf balls at 50).

Quote:
None of my 4 rimfire rifles shoots that bad. So to me 2 moa is shooting like a shotgun.
If 1.5MOA is so terrible to you, then you have an extreme point of view and should not be making recommendations to a beginner in bolt-actions who is only looking for cheap plinking. That you repeatedly use the analogy of "shooting like a shotgun" in referring to 1.5moa groups (which are PLENTY small for 99% of plinkers) only supports that you have an extreme view of what even decent accuracy means, and should not be making recommendations to this person.

Quote:
All of mine will shoot 1moa at 100 yards. I do it all the time. That is with cheap Remington target ammo from walmart. Let me get some Federal 711b and It will shoot .5 to .75 moa at 100 yards.
I wasn't trying to brag at all, but I'm glad you didn't miss a chance to (try to) stroke your ego.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want to slow down and make each shot count you may want to look into a single shot.
H&R 1871
They make 17 HMR and 22 mag single shots with inter changeable barrels. They are very accurate and simple and will easily fit within your budget. They have auto ejectors which makes reloading rather rapid
Both will increase your range and knockdown power. I have such a combo and even though the ammo is more expensive, being a single shot slows me down and the extra cost is manageable. You can buy either the 17 or 22 mag initially and later send it back to the factory to get the other barrel fitted for ~$100 if you wish. The 17 HMR is a very accurate round with a drop around 1 inch at 100 yds.
I got my 17 HMR for under $200

Just my thoughts for your consideration

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #34

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I was not bragging I was merely stating a FACT and giving proof to back that up. If your gun is shooting 2MOA then I doubt it is the guns fault. Even Rugers 10/2puke for the most part will hold moa out of 100 yards.

If you can get an accurate rifle with in the price range he is looking for why are you going to settle for one that is less accurate? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I was not bragging I was merely stating a FACT and giving proof to back that up.
That is great, except those facts have nothing to do with this thread.

Quote:
If your gun is shooting 2MOA then I doubt it is the guns fault. Even Rugers 10/2puke for the most part will hold moa out of 100 yards.
Got any evidence of that? I have never, EVER heard of a stock 10/22 doing that (and I did A LOT of research before buying my rifle). But, either way, I don't shoot for groups. I have only tried (though, with little effort) twice just to see where my rifle stands, as I otherwise find benchrest shooting very boring. Once again, I was only giving an example that plinking accuracy is really not hard to come by, not trying to one-up you on the interweb.

Quote:
If you can get an accurate rifle with in the price range he is looking for why are you going to settle for one that is less accurate? Doesn't make sense to me.
Once again, that's your opinion. Just because you can't make sense of something doesn't mean it is wrong.

But the reason he might buy something that doesn't tap out his entire budget is because he doesn't need to. He even said all he wanted was to "have a good time plinking." If all he wants to do is plink, why does he need to spend $300 on a rifle when he could get completely satisfactory results for $200 or even $150? Even further, he seemed pleased he wouldn't have to tap out his budget just to get a decent plinknig rifle. To be honest, I can't make sense out of your inability to make sense of him maybe not wanting to spend every last penny he has when something much cheaper would do the job he needs it to do, JUST FINE.

And to the O.P:
Really, if you are just looking to pace yourself, just start loading one round in your magazines at a time. It wil get you the results you are looking for without having to buy another firearm. That you are concerned with saving money for other firearms purchases suggestions that simply changing the way you use your current firearm (one shot at a time) would satisfy your needs and allow you to buy another gun you REALLY want!