Good .22 for under $300?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Good .22 for under $300?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good .22 for under $300?

I'm looking to get a blot action .22 for plinking and learning basic shooting skills. Because I don't have too much free cash right now I'm looking in the under $300 bucks range.

You guys have any thoughts on what would be good for a guy who's somewhat new to the sport? I have been looking at the Savage and Marlin lines and am mostly happy with the semi-auto Savage I already have. $300 bucks ain't much I know but I would like to get the most for my money.

Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You could always get a Henry Lever gun for that price.

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

If you don't mind answering, why do you want a bolt action .22 if you already have a semi? There are definitely good reasons for it and its your money and you should decide how you want to spend it, its just to me a .22 is not an accurate enough bullet that I would be concerned with bolt vs semi for accuracy, if thats why you want a bolt. If your buying the cheapest .22 available like I do, but I'm just curious.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think your doing right by going with a bolt gun. I have not bought a new .22 bolt gun for over 10 years, but if the new Savage .22`s are as good as their centerfire rifles they`re great.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #5

If you belong to one of many many clubs you can get one of the most accurate 22 bolt action rifles out there now and have plenty of money left over for ammo.

You can get a Mossberg M44us for $175 +$22.95 for shipping from the CMP. The best thing about it they will ship it right to your front door. It will take a while to get Wait time are right at 3 to 4 months. If you can't wait that long look at any of the older Mossberg 42, 44, 46, 142, 144, 146 and many many others.

Also if you must have a brand new rifle then look at the savage line.

Well I take back what I said about the M44us they are sold out. Man they went fast.

Check out pawn shops you can almost always decent used 22 in there for reasonable prices.

If you look on sites like gunbroker beware some troll mfers like to list $100 rifles on there for $500+ to see if they get some one stupid. When in doubt come back and ask. If you don't have a Blue book of gun values and you find a used gun pm me and I will gladly look it up for you and tell you the prices.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #6

ScottG - I am considering a Henry as well. No one ever has a bad thing to say about them, and that's saying a lot when it comes to firearms!

Yunus - I'm after a bolt gun for a few reasons. The semi I have now was the first rifle I bought and it came with a scope attached as part of a package. I enjoy using it but I find myself rushing my shots and counting on the scope to hit the target more then my own skill. I want something that will force me to slow down on focus on the basics of using a rifle.

Granted, I could just take the scope off and have a little more self-control when shooting but I'm new to the sport and I want to learn things from the ground up. To me an iron-sited bolt-gun is that first step.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Savage rimfire. Just get a bolt action to compliment your existing Savage. Its certainly a different game with a bolt action. I know what your talking about, slowing down and paying attention to the basics.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #8

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

well thats a great reason to get a bolt gun. If it were me I might step it up to a .17HMR or something because of the increase in distance but as others have said you won't go wrong with a Savage .22. A friend of mine has a Mark II .22 with a thumbhole stock and its the same stock as on my Howa 1500 .223. So if you get comfortable shooting the .22 a centerfire on that stock would probably feel very similar save for the extra kick.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #9

I would really look at browsing the used section of your local shops. Many will have some good deals on quality firearms for decent prices.

I had found a Ruger M77/22 bolt action 22lr oh they are sweet shooting guns. It didn't look at that good but nothing a little sandpaper and truoil couldn't fix. It was $200 at the time and like always I didn't have that much spare money so I had to pass.

If you looking for new try Gallery of Guns.com - Gun Gallery, Ruger Firearms, Shooter Online Services, Firearm Industry News, Firearm Dealer, Gun News

Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
Granted, I could just take the scope off and have a little more self-control when shooting but I'm new to the sport and I want to learn things from the ground up. To me an iron-sited bolt-gun is that first step.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it!

You are overthinking it. Trigger control and impulse are not a function of action type. The Henry is probably the best buy out there. They are very accurate, beautifully stocked with premium black walnut, and smoother than any other lever action made. I have one and it is a tack driver at 50 yds. I have hit the primers on 12 ga. shotshells at 25 yds. with a cheap BSA scope. The only complaint I have with Henry is their use of plastic for the barrel band and front sight, other than that, I consider it as accurate and well-made a .22 as you'll find anywhere for $200.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"