Good .22, looking for higer capacity
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Good .22, looking for higer capacity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good .22, looking for higer capacity

Hi,

My son and I have been shooting my old Glenfield/Marlin Model 20 (from the 70's) that I bought way back when I was about his age - it's a bolt action, seven-shot mag (7+1), with original Glenfield scope. It's a real tack driver, very accurate, but it would be nice to have a newer rifle we can work with, maybe something with a higher capacity mag and (of course) accurate).

We've been looking at the GSG 522 and we've actually shot one - it is a great gun (a little on the expensive side I guess), and I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a good, accurate, and decent capacity .22 rifle that'll take a scope and has decent iron sights as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

br

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I would suggest a Ruger 10-22. It is not an expensive gun but it is a good gun. You can get up to 50 round magazines for it. And if you would want to trick it out, there is almost an unlimited number of accessories and upgrades you can do to it yourself.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
I would suggest a Ruger 10-22. It is not an expensive gun but it is a good gun. You can get up to 50 round magazines for it. And if you would want to trick it out, there is almost an unlimited number of accessories and upgrades you can do to it yourself.
Second that...nothing beats a 10-22 as an inexpensive plinker with almost limitless aftermarket options. A Marlin Model 60 would be an attractive alternative although I personally have no firsthand knowledge, folks that own them seem to enjoy them.

If you are looking for a bit more bang, Hi Point has a series of low cost 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP carbines.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Ruger 10/22 would fit the bill. For the cost it is a very reliable rifle and it's fun to customize it. The possibilities are endless.

I use Butler Creek Steel Lips 25-round magazines that work flawlessly. They will snap together back to back so you have 50 rounds available for quick fire. Using the standard tapered barrel I get nickel sized groups at 50 yards using Federal 550 Bulk ammo.

I have a Simmons 3 X 9 x 32 .22 Mag. Scope with Adjustable Objective (A.O.) mounted on Weaver See-thru rings that allow full use of the nice iron sights.

10-22_02.jpg   10-22_04.jpg   scoperings05.jpg   scoperings03.jpg  

Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you do indeed have a tack driver I would keep it. I have 2 10-22`s, one that has been built with match barrel and Fajion wood. It will out shoot any off the shelf 10-22 I`ve ever seen, but I have some old bolt guns that will tear it up.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2134 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Smith & Wesson AR 15-22

Marlin 60

Ruger 10-22

See below for my favorite.

And can use any of the AR aftermarket parts.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 09-10-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm another 10-22 fan. It's simply a good rifle. There's tons of aftermarket parts to make it do anything you might want from a 22lr The standard 10 round mag can be replaced with any one of several in other capacities.

Those old Glenfield/Marlins are really nice. But I can see where you might want a semi auto when 22 shooting. I'd still not part with the old rifle. They just shoot too well to let go of.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you want to go really hog wild, you can get a Gatling gun kit that accepts two 10-22 barrelled actions. It will keep firing as long as you keep cranking and there are rounds in the magazines. With 50 round magazines you could fire 100 rounds without stopping. And since is classed as semi auto, no licenses or special permits are required. Here is the link to Cabelas.

Cabela's -- Gatling Gun Kit

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The 10/22 is hard to beat. I have never heard of any good luck with hi-cap mags for them. I will have look for the Butler Creek mags and see how they do.

Of course if you need more rounds there is the Calico .22 with 100 round helical feed mag...
Calico 100 round Rifle

Old 09-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
The 10/22 is hard to beat. I have never heard of any good luck with hi-cap mags for them. I will have look for the Butler Creek mags and see how they do.

Of course if you need more rounds there is the Calico .22 with 100 round helical feed mag...
Calico 100 round Rifle
It's important to note that the only Butler Creek hi-caps for the 10/22 that work reliably are the "Steel Lips" version. They also have a line of them called "Hot Lips", but the reviews are mixed. They're mostly like the other aftermarket magizines you've tried. I own numerous of the Steel Lips for my 10/22's and have never had one that wouldn't run 100% reliably.