Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Good .22, looking for higer capacity (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/good-22-looking-higer-capacity-31381/)

brancher 09-06-2010 02:14 AM

Good .22, looking for higer capacity

Hi,

My son and I have been shooting my old Glenfield/Marlin Model 20 (from the 70's) that I bought way back when I was about his age - it's a bolt action, seven-shot mag (7+1), with original Glenfield scope. It's a real tack driver, very accurate, but it would be nice to have a newer rifle we can work with, maybe something with a higher capacity mag and (of course) accurate).

We've been looking at the GSG 522 and we've actually shot one - it is a great gun (a little on the expensive side I guess), and I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a good, accurate, and decent capacity .22 rifle that'll take a scope and has decent iron sights as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

br

Win73 09-09-2010 03:15 AM

I would suggest a Ruger 10-22. It is not an expensive gun but it is a good gun. You can get up to 50 round magazines for it. And if you would want to trick it out, there is almost an unlimited number of accessories and upgrades you can do to it yourself.

Jpyle 09-09-2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win73 (Post 347138)
I would suggest a Ruger 10-22. It is not an expensive gun but it is a good gun. You can get up to 50 round magazines for it. And if you would want to trick it out, there is almost an unlimited number of accessories and upgrades you can do to it yourself.

Second that...nothing beats a 10-22 as an inexpensive plinker with almost limitless aftermarket options. A Marlin Model 60 would be an attractive alternative although I personally have no firsthand knowledge, folks that own them seem to enjoy them.

If you are looking for a bit more bang, Hi Point has a series of low cost 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP carbines.

Snakedriver 09-09-2010 06:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The Ruger 10/22 would fit the bill. For the cost it is a very reliable rifle and it's fun to customize it. The possibilities are endless.

I use Butler Creek Steel Lips 25-round magazines that work flawlessly. They will snap together back to back so you have 50 rounds available for quick fire. Using the standard tapered barrel I get nickel sized groups at 50 yards using Federal 550 Bulk ammo.

I have a Simmons 3 X 9 x 32 .22 Mag. Scope with Adjustable Objective (A.O.) mounted on Weaver See-thru rings that allow full use of the nice iron sights.

Catfish 09-10-2010 12:16 AM

If you do indeed have a tack driver I would keep it. I have 2 10-22`s, one that has been built with match barrel and Fajion wood. It will out shoot any off the shelf 10-22 I`ve ever seen, but I have some old bolt guns that will tear it up.

ScottA 09-10-2010 01:34 AM

Smith & Wesson AR 15-22

Marlin 60

Ruger 10-22

See below for my favorite.

And can use any of the AR aftermarket parts.

DrumJunkie 09-10-2010 01:35 AM

I'm another 10-22 fan. It's simply a good rifle. There's tons of aftermarket parts to make it do anything you might want from a 22lr The standard 10 round mag can be replaced with any one of several in other capacities.

Those old Glenfield/Marlins are really nice. But I can see where you might want a semi auto when 22 shooting. I'd still not part with the old rifle. They just shoot too well to let go of. :)

Win73 09-10-2010 01:42 AM

If you want to go really hog wild, you can get a Gatling gun kit that accepts two 10-22 barrelled actions. It will keep firing as long as you keep cranking and there are rounds in the magazines. With 50 round magazines you could fire 100 rounds without stopping. And since is classed as semi auto, no licenses or special permits are required. Here is the link to Cabelas.

Cabela's -- Gatling Gun Kit

IXLR8 09-10-2010 11:09 PM

The 10/22 is hard to beat. I have never heard of any good luck with hi-cap mags for them. I will have look for the Butler Creek mags and see how they do.

Of course if you need more rounds there is the Calico .22 with 100 round helical feed mag...
Calico 100 round Rifle

Snakedriver 09-10-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXLR8 (Post 348384)
The 10/22 is hard to beat. I have never heard of any good luck with hi-cap mags for them. I will have look for the Butler Creek mags and see how they do.

Of course if you need more rounds there is the Calico .22 with 100 round helical feed mag...
Calico 100 round Rifle

It's important to note that the only Butler Creek hi-caps for the 10/22 that work reliably are the "Steel Lips" version. They also have a line of them called "Hot Lips", but the reviews are mixed. They're mostly like the other aftermarket magizines you've tried. I own numerous of the Steel Lips for my 10/22's and have never had one that wouldn't run 100% reliably. :cool: