Golden Bullets Are Junk!!! (in my weapon)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Golden Bullets Are Junk!!! (in my weapon)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
ICU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Golden Bullets Are Junk!!! (in my weapon)

Went to the range for the first time with my new (used) Marlin 60. The guy that sold the gun to me threw in a box of 50 Golden Bullet HV .22LR by Remington. Within the past few days I've been trying to get my hands on all the different types I could get to bring along too, and I can't say how glad I am.

At the range they also had Fiocci and CCI, the CCI were $8.50/100 and the Fioocci were ~$4/50 so I stuck with the 300 round selection I had brought with me. Out of the 50 rounds of Golden Bullets - over 30 had misfired and/or stovepiped on me, and of course with every stovepipe, the next shell inline ended up bent and bruised. (pics to come) "Great," I thought... "I just bought a cheap gun that will need $$ of work put into to make it worthwhile to shoot." I tried with my last 17 in the tube mag and barely got any 2 in a row to shoot, until the last few. "Huh, maybe it was "TOO" clean???" So not knowing exactly how the ejection wire was supposed to look (couldn't find a clear pic) I bent it out ever so slightly toward the center, or in the direction of ejection. Then loaded in the Remington THUNDERBOLTS.. I was thinking "Remmy's are Remmy's" so wasn't expecting much, but as I slid the tube back in I could feel quite a difference, just how it reassembled. "Weird," I thought, "Maybe I just didnt notice it the other 3 times." So I pulled the trigger with anticipation of a mis-fire and came up short, it actually shot down range toward the target--- and I think it hit it! As did the next, and the next, and so on. "Wow, these bullets are cheap ($1.99/50) and they're shooting!" The entire box, I think it stove'd 2 of em. The I loaded up the Wildcats, at $1.79 I bought 2 boxes of these. :-D Same thing, they shot great! (well, great for iron sights at 20 yards anyway) So 200 rounds into it, my hour was up and I found that I'll probably never waste my money on the Remmington (so called) Golden Bullets again.

Has anyone ever gotten a bad batch of a bullet that normally works for them? And yes, I have since heard many people complaining about the entire line of "goldens" from Remmy. One aquaintance, a former officer of the law, shot a particularly aggressive dog twice in the head with his .45, point blank, with the Golden "whatevers" and it still didn't die. Not to mention his numerous other poor experiences with said round. So I've still got 100 rounds of the Win X that didnt get spent, as well as 50 more CCIs from previous exploits lying around the house. Heading outdoor now, perhaps this weekend, or Mon/Tue timeframe.

Lessons learned:
NO MORE GOLDEN ANYTHING!!!
Never buy bulk of anything I haven't yet tried in this particular gun myself.
Shoot faster to make better use of my $15 spent for the hour at the range.
Learn how to use iron sights better!!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Went to the range for the first time with my new (used) Marlin 60. The guy that sold the gun to me threw in a box of 50 Golden Bullet HV .22LR by Remington. Within the past few days I've been trying to get my hands on all the different types I could get to bring along too, and I can't say how glad I am.

At the range they also had Fiocci and CCI, the CCI were $8.50/100 and the Fioocci were ~$4/50 so I stuck with the 300 round selection I had brought with me. Out of the 50 rounds of Golden Bullets - over 30 had misfired and/or stovepiped on me, and of course with every stovepipe, the next shell inline ended up bent and bruised. (pics to come) "Great," I thought... "I just bought a cheap gun that will need $$ of work put into to make it worthwhile to shoot." I tried with my last 17 in the tube mag and barely got any 2 in a row to shoot, until the last few. "Huh, maybe it was "TOO" clean???" So not knowing exactly how the ejection wire was supposed to look (couldn't find a clear pic) I bent it out ever so slightly toward the center, or in the direction of ejection. Then loaded in the Remington THUNDERBOLTS.. I was thinking "Remmy's are Remmy's" so wasn't expecting much, but as I slid the tube back in I could feel quite a difference, just how it reassembled. "Weird," I thought, "Maybe I just didnt notice it the other 3 times." So I pulled the trigger with anticipation of a mis-fire and came up short, it actually shot down range toward the target--- and I think it hit it! As did the next, and the next, and so on. "Wow, these bullets are cheap ($1.99/50) and they're shooting!" The entire box, I think it stove'd 2 of em. The I loaded up the Wildcats, at $1.79 I bought 2 boxes of these. :-D Same thing, they shot great! (well, great for iron sights at 20 yards anyway) So 200 rounds into it, my hour was up and I found that I'll probably never waste my money on the Remmington (so called) Golden Bullets again.

Has anyone ever gotten a bad batch of a bullet that normally works for them? And yes, I have since heard many people complaining about the entire line of "goldens" from Remmy. One aquaintance, a former officer of the law, shot a particularly aggressive dog twice in the head with his .45, point blank, with the Golden "whatevers" and it still didn't die. Not to mention his numerous other poor experiences with said round. So I've still got 100 rounds of the Win X that didnt get spent, as well as 50 more CCIs from previous exploits lying around the house. Heading outdoor now, perhaps this weekend, or Mon/Tue timeframe.

Lessons learned:
NO MORE GOLDEN ANYTHING!!!
Never buy bulk of anything I haven't yet tried in this particular gun myself.
Shoot faster to make better use of my $15 spent for the hour at the range.
Learn how to use iron sights better!!!!!
Do you think the "free" box of Golden Rem's were not-so-much a gift but a bad ammo dump that the dealer knew he would probably get back if he had sold them?

Remember to buy small quantities of untested ammo and experiment to see how your rifle likes the new stuff.

Remember what ammo your rifle has rejected and stay away from it no matter how cheap it is!

Enjoy your Marlin, if you like it half as much as I like mine, you will be a happy camper!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use the cheap stuff for plinking and CCIs for hunting or shooting for groups. I think CCI makes some of the best rimfire ammo that isn't outrageously priced.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Hard to argue that Remington makes the absolute crappiest rimfire ammo - period...

Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

What do you expect? Golden bullets are known in the rimfire community as the worst ammo out there.

If you want the best shooting ones out of the bunch I like wolf super match, Federal 711b, eley Tenx or just about anything Eley......

Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #6

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 732

My model 60 is not picky about ammo. Winchester Xpert is also crap though. I tried Aguila Eley primed and they were close to CCI. CCI is still tops. Aguila that worked very well, 38gr high velocity Eley, 30gr Hyper velocity Eley, 40gr Subsonic. Winchester wildcats have always functioned and shot well. Aguila centurian 38gr shot well for cheap ammo. It is not bulk pack.
As far as the sights on the 60. That is my only complaint about the rifle. Those block sights make for a lousey sight picture. A cheap scope will change everything.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 02-05-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

I used to hear(couple years ago) that your results may vary with ammo and specifically Remington ammo. Now the tone has changed to everyone hating it and I would guess the quality of the ammo has tanked. I have never owned a gun that liked rem ammo. I will say that the new Remington 555 and 333 packs are much better and cleaner. For me wallyworld federal 550 packs are where its at.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #8

Default It happened to me when the rifle was new.

I use those cheap Golden bullets in my Marlin 60 and in my Ruger Mark III.

IMy first day out with the Marlin I had a stovepipe but I think it was because I was a little trigger happy and was pulllin the trigger way to fast. Hasn't happened since.

In over 500 rounds in the pistol I have had 3 FTF.

I guess you get what you pay for.

I admire your choice in rifles though

Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I had a Marlin model 60 when i was younger (need to ask the nephews where it is); it seemed to be most reliable when i was using CCI minimags. My target-shooting pistol liked those too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
My model 60 is not picky about ammo. Winchester Xpert is also crap though......................
Funny you mention Winchester Xpert. It is the most accurate of the typical commercial offerings. 2MOA@100-150 yards.

As for the claim of LEO shooting a dog in the head point-blank with 2 .45 Golden Sabres.......... I'm throwing the BS flag. Pointblank, and to the head twice, don't end in still alive.

Golden Sabres are actually some of the bst performing big name hollow points on the market.

I shot a chow once, with a 180gr PMC starfire, from my Taurus PT100 at a distance of 50 feet. I was prone and supported. It was under a house. He survived the shot, briefly. The shot entered an inche below his left eye and exited straight out.

But I simply do not believe that any dog survived 2 at point blank.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?