Glenfield 25 problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Glenfield 25 problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glenfield 25 problem

If anyone can help me with this problem I'd appreciate it. My .22 bolt action is not extracting. The extractor is in one piece but even with a firm pull on the bolt lever it still won't eject a shell. I've read that they need to be cleaned well (soaked in solvent, penetrating oil??) so I'll try that. But I wondered if there is something within the bolt it self that may have hidden damage. I can't find any reference online to this problem or a good schematic for the rifle. Thanks in advance. Tim

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If your extractor is spring loaded it may have lost some of its spring.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Well, two different actions- EXTRACTING- pulling a cartridge or case out of the chamber, and EJECTING- flicking the cartridge out of the weapon after it is extracted.

Will it extract an unfired round? How about a fired round?

Start by cleaning- scrub the chamber well with a brush and powder solvent (Hoppes 9, or any one that you like). Rough or dirty chamber may make fired brass stick to the chamber walls, and the extractor slip off it's tiny grip on the case rim.

Next, clean the extractor. Soak in some more Hoppes, scrub under the lip of the extractor- old toothbrush, etc. 22 ammo is notoriously dirty, crud building up under extractor may keep it from getting a bite.

If those two do not fix the problem, 2 other possibles come to mind-
First, the tooth of the extractor has been damaged, bent, or worn. Fixed by replacing extractor. Second, when a rimfire is repeatedly DRY FIRED (snapped with no cartridge in the chamber) it can peen the mouth of the chamber- putting a little burr of metal in the way of pulling out the fired cartridge. Cases may have a bright scratch running the length of the case. If THAT is the problem- it can be fixed. Gunsmith uses a tool that looks like a Stanley nailset to IRON the burr back into place (strangely enough, I actually use a Stanley nailset for this) DO NOT POLISH OFF THE BURR- the metal needs to be put back in place, not removed.

Anyone else with some thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Expanding on c3's post.

the extractor and ejector are a once piece part of spring steel. You can get a new one from Numrich Arms for $10.45 +Shipping.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 AM   #5

Default Thanks for the reply

Hey thanks guys for the great replies. I'll try the cleaning method first, then the new extractor. In case it matters, I may have not been clear that the extractor always grabs the shell but it's not spitting it out is the problem. In case this info changes your approach. thanks again. Tim

Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Check first for a chamber ding!

most rimfires have a ding in the azz end the chamber from somebody dry fireing the gun, the rimfire fireing pin, strikeing the edge of the chamber, creat's a imperfection on the back end the chamber, on real bad damage a live round will stick in the chamber and need something to lever or rammed the live round to clear the chamber, to fix you may bring it to a gunsmith and have it burnished out, my bet your extraction problem goes away after burnishing, Brownells sells .22lr chamber burnisher tool for as about as much as you would pay a gunsmith to have it done (flat shop rate 5 minuets or 50minuets= 1 hour shop rate)

The burnisher forces the displaced steel back into the proper shape of a rimfire chamber without removeing metal that if filed or sanded in itself contributes to a different problem.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 10-14-2009 at 01:38 AM.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Don't forget to clean the extractor cutout in the barrel.

Jim.........

Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

In my experience the two most common problems with .22 rifles is #1. Fouling. Clean thoroughly. #2. Burr on chamber. Never dry fire a rimfire w/o a dummy or spent case in the chamber.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Default Step two

OK thanks again for all the other replies. I've cleaned and re-lubed my complete bolt, action and barrel (I used dry moly lube, any comments on that?) and now it does eject better in that the extractor spring consistently lets go of the shell. Trouble is the shell doesn't fly out of the chamber like it should it just flips and stays in the well. Even if I cock the bolt back firmly. Yes it is contacting the little ejector pin at the back end of the throw. Any ideas? Thanks Tim

Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Today I was cleaning up an old Glenfield 25 for a friend, it was his grandfathers rifle and he found it in his attic and apparently it had been up there as long as he's been alive and he's 23, it was a bit rusty when i got to it and the stock looked very dry, got most of the rust off and oiled the stock and it looks a lot nicer now, either way it's having the same problem you mentioned. it'll eject 5/7 rounds usually and other than that it's a beautiful rifle that shoots well and accurate, not bad at all for it's age.