Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Was given Great Grandpa's rilfe today (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/given-great-grandpas-rilfe-today-95588/)

jebsca 08-17-2013 03:35 AM

Was given Great Grandpa's rilfe today

One of my mom's brothers was in town today, and pulled out his papa's rifle and gave it to me today. Was a great suprise for the day. Made it hard to set and talk with familey that I hadn't seen in about a year without my mind sraying to the rifle. Had been thinking about going to the range tomorrow and shooting my 22s. Now it looks like I will have another rifle to take and an uncul that will be going with me.

JW357 08-17-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebsca
One of my mom's brothers was in town today, and pulled out his papa's rifle and gave it to me today. Was a great suprise for the day. Made it hard to set and talk with familey that I hadn't seen in about a year without my mind sraying to the rifle. Had been thinking about going to the range tomorrow and shooting my 22s. Now it looks like I will have another rifle to take and an uncul that will be going with me.

Cool sounds like fun. What's the rifle? Pics. Pics. Pics.

therewolf 08-17-2013 03:42 AM

There really is nothing like a Legacy Gun.

They always hold a special place in your

heart.

jebsca 08-17-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1337809)

Um, I don't know. I will have to check it out in the morning. Pics will have to hold off until then too. I didn't see anything on it as to a brand for anything at first glance. I hope to find out more history about it tomorrow.

jebsca 08-18-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1337809)

The rifle is a Marlin 89, 89A if I remember right.

At work yesterday, I had been thinking that I would sneak off to the range and shoot a few 22 rifles. When I got to town, I found out my uncle was in town, and stopped in to see him, only to find out he wanted to give me the rifle. We made plans to go to the range with that rifle along with a few others. My uncle told me a bit about the rifle that his uncle had given to it to my great grandpa over 60 years ago (he was thinking (50-52).

We ended up finishing off a brick today, so I think it was a good day. As we were shooting, I pointed out a flower, and had it knocked it down in two shots. He was thinking it was a sign I was a good shot. I told him it was the rifle. It took him another two shots to get his flower cut down. I think we ended up using something like 50-70 rounds to get the next flower. It was a very good time.

I still need to get y'all the pics. Maybe that will happen tomorrow, or maybe I will just sneak off to the range again. New toys are so much fun, especially if it is not new at all, but from a few generations ago in your family.

BillM 08-18-2013 04:16 AM

22 LR caliber, lever action? Model 39A.

jebsca 08-18-2013 04:17 PM

Its not a lever. It is an 89C. Semi Auto, Bolt action, Magazine Fed.

jebsca 08-18-2013 04:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics I have been saying I would put up. She needs some detailed cleaning and a few parts replaced, but she is a good shooter.

BillM 08-18-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebsca (Post 1339262)
Its not a lever. It is an 89C. Semi Auto, Bolt action, Magazine Fed.

Interesting. Found it in the Blue Book under Semi-Auto Promotional Models.
Made from 48 to 61.

Rick1967 08-18-2013 09:03 PM

Very nice. Congrats. I have nothing from my family. But I am building a nice collection to pass on to my son. He is 14 and quite a shooter.