General Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > General Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default General Questions

Hi I'm new here (obviously.)

I've been wanting to get a 22 rimfire rifle for some time now and there is a new Ruger 10 / 22 on sale for 200 bucks this week at sports authority.

We would mostly use the gun for target practice and some varmint control.

I looked at the gun today and it looks and feels great.

My questions are would subsonic bullets significantly reduce the sound? We have neighbors and don't want there to be a fuss. We use pellet guns all the time and there's never been a problem. What bullets do you recommend?

The other question is about scopes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a scope for this gun. Everything we will be shooting will be within a few hundred yards, (300 max) I would think.

Thanks,

__________________

Last edited by CRASH; 11-01-2008 at 10:53 PM.
CRASH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
junho806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 909
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
Hi I'm new here (obviously.)

I've been wanting to get a 22 rimfire rifle for some time now and there is a new Ruger 10 / 22 on sale for 200 bucks this week at sports authority.

We would mostly use the gun for target practice and some varmint control.

I looked at the gun today and it looks and feels great.

My questions are would subsonic bullets significantly reduce the sound? We have neighbors and don't want there to be a fuss. We use pellet guns all the time and there's never been a problem. What bullets do you recommend?

The other question is about scopes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a scope for this gun. Everything we will be shooting will be within a few hundred yards, (300 max) I would think.

Thanks,
first of all welcome to the forum!

as for the subsonic bullets it won't significantly reduce the sound
it'll still produce a pretty loud crack
as for your neighbors...how big is you backyard? bigger backyards tend to be better for shooting especially if noise is a concern
since pretty much all bullets will sound pretty loud i recommend the cheap hollow points.
as for the scope a nice 3-9x40 would be good
hope i helped
__________________

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

junho806 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
first of all welcome to the forum!

as for the subsonic bullets it won't significantly reduce the sound
it'll still produce a pretty loud crack
as for your neighbors...how big is you backyard? bigger backyards tend to be better for shooting especially if noise is a concern
since pretty much all bullets will sound pretty loud i recommend the cheap hollow points.
as for the scope a nice 3-9x40 would be good
hope i helped
Thanks.
We have a pretty good size back yard and open space behind, but neighbors on each side. In reading various web sites it seems like many people think the sound is significantly reduced by the sub-sonic bullets. So you've given me some pause.
Thanks for the scope size - is there a particular brand that you recommend - I don't need anything expensive but don't want the cheapest thing out there either.
__________________
CRASH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
junho806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 909
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
Thanks.
We have a pretty good size back yard and open space behind, but neighbors on each side. In reading various web sites it seems like many people think the sound is significantly reduced by the sub-sonic bullets. So you've given me some pause.
Thanks for the scope size - is there a particular brand that you recommend - I don't need anything expensive but don't want the cheapest thing out there either.
it'll still be like a cap gun going off
it really depends on your neighbors like mine has two little kids so i try not to shoot too much
or if your neighbors just plain hate you haha
make sure your shooting up against a hill or something because heavens forbid if one your bullets were to ricochet...

i personally went with a tasco scope it cost be about $60 and it work great!
got pretty tight groups with it
its really up to you what brand you want and there's alot out there that are pretty good
__________________

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

junho806 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

Check with local law enforcement about discharging a firearm where you live. In many areas, it's no problem. In others, it's illegal and will land you in hot water. Be safe, stay legal.

__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 37
Default

"i personally went with a tasco scope it cost be about $60 and it work great!
got pretty tight groups with it
its really up to you what brand you want and there's alot out there that are pretty good"...........???????

Tasco yea that $60 bucks is exactly what your gettin bump it against the door on the way outside to shoot and u will see why its sixty bucks....If u buy the Ruger which i think is the only way to go for a affordable very reliable gun spend some scope money on a 3-9x40 bushnell or nikon optics are essential esp for smaller game and excellent accuracy.

__________________

Ghostndawoodz

"A gun is a tool, sir, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."

ghostndawoodz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostndawoodz View Post
"i personally went with a tasco scope it cost be about $60 and it work great!
got pretty tight groups with it
its really up to you what brand you want and there's alot out there that are pretty good"...........???????

Tasco yea that $60 bucks is exactly what your gettin bump it against the door on the way outside to shoot and u will see why its sixty bucks....If u buy the Ruger which i think is the only way to go for a affordable very reliable gun spend some scope money on a 3-9x40 bushnell or nikon optics are essential esp for smaller game and excellent accuracy.
Thanks. Any thoughts on the sound with the sub-sonics?
__________________
CRASH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 37
Default

Well not really to be honest you could shoot shorts and they are quiet but not sure if the gun will discharge them good or take them....If they are cheap buy the sub sonics see what they do....but really the optics are essential and please dont get a damn tasco its like a tonka toy....Didnt mention but u could even get a redfield for a good price and an okay scope

__________________

Ghostndawoodz

"A gun is a tool, sir, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."

ghostndawoodz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:34 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Check with local law enforcement about discharging a firearm where you live. In many areas, it's no problem. In others, it's illegal and will land you in hot water. Be safe, stay legal.
I agree and it is legal, I just want to be sensitive to the neighbors.
Did you have any suggestions regarding the scope or the sound?
__________________
CRASH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prairie Dog Country
Posts: 124
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The sub rounds may not operate the action on a Ruger 10-22 Semi auto rifle. Get a box of various brands of ammo and try them. Every 22 rifle is a bit different. I have a Ruger 10-22 T with a Burris 6 X target scope. I have tuned up the trigger and got a thumb hole varmint stock for it. There are a lot of parts available for the 10-22 rifle and can be seen at www.rimfirecentral.com

__________________
tuck2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Some general questions from a beginner. Krahis General Handgun Discussion 11 06-05-2009 06:41 AM
General gun cleaning questions kaia General Handgun Discussion 6 03-25-2009 12:58 AM
General Reloading Questions treillw Ammunition & Reloading 8 02-01-2009 11:16 PM
Handicapper General bkt The Club House 2 07-18-2008 02:54 AM
general introduction crowdancer General Rifle Discussion 3 11-01-2007 05:46 PM