First time gun buyer questions - Illinois - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

First time gun buyer questions - Illinois

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockme View Post
Thank you all for the information. I need the lightest caliber gun just so that it would make a large bang when fired if I am approached by muggers and give me the opportunity to run away.
I was browsing an online gun dealer's catalog for a light and inexpensive .22LR gun for my wife. The web site said that .22 calibers are so light that a permit is not needed. Reading your replies, I think that web site was incorrect. I need a permit to own even the lightest caliber gun in Illinois, right?
Not to preach but that attitude can get you killed. If you are threatened enough to draw a weapon you must be prepared to end the threat...fast and hard. A big bang may only encourage the would-be mugger to draw his .45 ACP and shoot you dead. If you are going to carry a weapon, carry one suitable for defensive purposes, not a cap gun.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockme View Post
I need the lightest caliber gun just so that it would make a large bang when fired if I am approached by muggers and give me the opportunity to run away.
like pyle said....WTF?!?

Muggers? ok, your putting on a public forum, that you intend to break IL law and carry concealed. Thats just damned foolish. Also make me question your age. you trollin?

If you are going to have/carry a gun for self-defense, USE THE THING!

Warning shots,shooting to wound(knees), **** like that will get you killed or worse, sued by the injured victim, or his family. you shoot to end the threat. so if you hit them once, and they are still mobile and threatening, you shoot them until they are no longer a threat. I somewhat commend you for wishing to have a gun for defensive purposes, but I also mock you for stupidity.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #13

Liked 152 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 264

i'm surprised no one suggested a starter gun, seeing as you are going to fire it, and then run.....there is no permit required for one of those.

but if you are only going to run, i would suggest taking the immediate oppurtunity.....and do so in zig zagging fashion.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #14

Hello to everybody!

I am new to the forum, so thanks for having me here.
My question: I am a resident of Illinois, a few months residing in Florida (I own a condo there).
What is the law concerning weapons use, if a need arises of course , for me in Florida? Can I take my weapon to a target shooting?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #15

If you are looking for a gun for home defense go with a 12 gauge shotgun. In the time of panic most likely you will miss the intruder with a pistol. But if you want something to carry i would go with a nice Berreta or Glock in 9mm.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #16

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter24 View Post
If you are looking for a gun for home defense go with a 12 gauge shotgun.
Rediculous.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #17

In Illinois you need a FOID (as stated above) to own any firearm (long gun or pistol etc) and also to own ammunition.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #18

Rockme I really think you need to do some more research and find out what your need for a firearm is. If if is a personal defense stay away from rifles. If you insist on using a longer firearm you should look into a shot gun. More than likely you will overpenetrate with your rifle and injure someone else. Are you looking for self defense and home or one to carry with you. This question will make a big difference in what you need in a firearm. Also .22 are not the first choice by any means for a self defense. If you are going to get a self defense gun know how to use it and use it for it's intended purpose. More than likely if you just want a bang and you don't intend on stopping the intruder with a bullit, you will be firing elsewhere. This makes you just as dangerous as the mugger. Mull on this for a while. My suggestion is if you don't plan on using the firearm to stop a threat don't carry one.