first rifle, savage 64, need scope and sling
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > first rifle, savage 64, need scope and sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first rifle, savage 64, need scope and sling

hey everyone, new to rifles and i did some research and chose the savage 64. Wanted the ruger 10 22 but decided to go the cheap way. Anyway, i am pretty new to guns and dont know the first thing about adding extras on to a gun.. i was wondering what scope is reccommended for my rifle. Also, what else am i going to need to mount it onto my gun. Also what will i need to put a sling on it as well. Thanks in advance from a beginner!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did your Savage 64 come with iron sights? If so, IMHO, it would be a good idea to practice with them for awhile and get used to the gun's behavior and capabilities. You might find you like open sights. You can always add a scope later.

If the 64 did not come with iron sights, it is probably already drilled and tapped for bases and rings to mount a scope. It is not hard to do, but many shops will mount and bore sight a new scope for free or a nominal charge if you buy one. For a first, that might be the way to go.

There are a lot of scopes out there. In general, the more you spend the more you get, but you can get reasonable first gun performance from a budget scope. 3-9 zoom is common, but 9 zoom is a bit much for a rimfire, so if you get that zoom, start off by using the lower powers.