First rifle for a child - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First rifle for a child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
I'd say get a BB gun like a Daisy first (red rider or a buck or a model 25) then graduate to a Crossman 760 pellet/BB repeater, around 9 or 10yro move them into a .22 cal of their own, have them learn safe shooting, wear shooting safety eyegear, safety infractions they lose privlages.
I had a few single shot .22's they got to try but they never really seemd too compatable (marlin 10, itcha 49, Stevens 30, Stevens 73Y, H&R handi rifle) the kids (2girls) were very excited when they went in the gun shop with Dad (to buy ammo) and spyd a youth model Cricket sitting on the rack, It went home with us that day, it was a blue/black one, they used to argue over who got to shoot it, later on we bought another Cricket (pink/stainless).

its a great littel .22 for the money, later on you can get a adult stock for them.

for a first .22 having it manual cock bolt action is the best safety feature from a parents point of view, the marlin 25 scares the bejezzus outta me, cock the knob when your ready to take your shot, easy to uncock and unload as well.

Id taught all 4 my kids to shoot and they are pretty good shots, as kids you still have to keep an eye on them, even the 16yro bears some watching & reminding ones in awhile.

Its best they learn early on just what these firearms can do wither a BB gun like a red rider (painfull welt if accidently shot) or a .22 holes through trees and 2x4's.
That ithica 49 I believe is the rifle I posted about earlier. Is it a drop block? I loved that little 22. I would love to have another!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #22

Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts

Default ithica 49

It is a nice little gun, I found the kids could dry fire it and the fireing pin raised a peen mark on the chamber causing fired casses to stick, after making a .22 Lr burnisher to clear it, I figured I'd trade it off and get a rimfire that takes kid abuse better.
that Martini type action was a booger to fish a burnisher in.

Its a ok vintage rimfire.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #23

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentialPyro View Post
They even come in pink like the cricket.
Thats what I bought my daughter when she was 5 or 6. Its suprisingly accurate as well as an excellent starter rifle for a kid.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #24

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskelt View Post
The cricket is a great starter because of all the steps you have to go through. Also they are pretty accurate. I have to keep my sons fairly clean or the bolt gets hard to close. Which is always a good training on proper care for the kid.
Get it now.... Traded for a single shot .22 lasy year for my greatgrandson, he's just turned two. (Win.mod 67).

Here one he realy likes...

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-03-2013 at 10:35 PM.