Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   First rifle for a child (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/first-rifle-child-79804/)

Yunus 12-30-2012 01:41 PM

First rifle for a child

I'm thinking that next year for Christmas that I may get my daughter a rifle, she will be almost 4. I'm considering a Crickett .22 because they are single shot and inexpensive.

Any comments or suggestions on the crickett or other ideas for a first rifle?

Rick1967 12-30-2012 02:01 PM

It depends on the kid. My son was very young when I started him on a 22. He tried my bolt action before he got his own. I am thinking he was more like 5. He is 14 now. I honestly dont remember him not shooting. The main thing is they must absolutely posivitively 100% listen to what you say. I am thinking at 4, I would be doing a bb gun first. I have a grandson that just turned 3. There is no way I will take him shooting in a year. He is just too much of a 3 year old.

Keep in mind there is a big difference between 4 and 5.

John_Deer 12-30-2012 02:07 PM

Get her a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. It is like a right of passage. Once she handles the Red Ryder without constant reminders she will be ready for a firearm.

ResidentialPyro 12-30-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1071895)
Get her a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. It is like a right of passage. Once she handles the Red Ryder without constant reminders she will be ready for a firearm.

They even come in pink like the cricket.

orangello 12-30-2012 02:28 PM

My first was a single shot, bolt action .22 (short, long, or long rifle), a Stevens 15A. I still own it and really enjoyed it. I had been given a BB rifle the year before.

If you aren't sure she is ready, maybe you could start her on a pellet rifle to learn marksmanship and safety. The .177 break-barrel i have can use practice pellets that are flat tipped for less danger of penetrating things other than paper. It also will fire pointy pellets that will kill a squirrel with decent shot placement.

Yunus 12-30-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1071895)

You know that will probably go over better with the wife as well. :)

sirhc 12-30-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 1071863)
I'm thinking that next year for Christmas that I may get my daughter a rifle, she will be almost 4. I'm considering a Crickett .22 because they are single shot and inexpensive.

Any comments or suggestions on the crickett or other ideas for a first rifle?

I can't for the life of me remember the brand, but I once had a single shot .22 lever action that loaded from the top. It was a great gun. The top load made it was easier to load for little hands than a bolt action would be. My step dad liked it so much that it ended up on permanent loan.
On another note: Growing up my mom wouldn't let me have a BB gun no matter how much I begged. When I was 12 my dad gave me a bolt action shotgun that his dad gave him when he was 12, but I was still not allowed to have a BB gun. :confused: I didn't get my first BB gun until I was in my 30's.:cool:

IDVague 12-30-2012 02:40 PM

Go ahead and buy her a .22, just wait until she's ready for it before you give it to her. Make sure you are giving it for HER and not YOU. I'd start her with a BB gun as well. Let her shoot it until she demonstrates an understanding of what it is for and is not for. Then let her know that the next step is BB safety times 10,000.

dog2000tj 12-30-2012 04:35 PM

get her an AR and a .22 conversion from CMMG ... when she wants to step up from the .22lr she will already have the platform for .223 ... and when she want's to step up from .223 she can choose almost any caliber she wishes :D

that and your daughter will become a member of the Black Rifle club ... it's a really kewl klub ;)

krosskelt 12-30-2012 04:54 PM

The cricket is a great starter because of all the steps you have to go through. Also they are pretty accurate. I have to keep my sons fairly clean or the bolt gets hard to close. Which is always a good training on proper care for the kid.