First Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Rifle

So I am considering buying a .22 Henry for my first gun. Would this be a wise choice. From searching the results seem to say it is a nice .22 for the money. I am planning on going to the local gun shop a couple miles away to look and see if they carry Henry rifles.

I don't know much about firearms really though and was wondering what would be decent ammo to go take out to a shooting range for just practicing?

Also is there somewhere with a beginners guide to firearms? I have received gun safety training from my uncle with pistols before but have never handled rifles. I don't really know much about cleaning and maintaining a rifle. The only experience with owning any kind of firearm is a .177 pellet pistol.
I plan on buying a case for a rifle as well.

The main reason for deciding on a .22 rifle first is because I am 19 and cannot buy a pistol yet.

If anyone could post either some links to read up on or some other advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I guess California allows lever guns, but they may consider it a "cowboy assault rifle" and not let you have one....

I have a Henry and like it, though some will say to get a Marlin or maybe a Ruger 1022 instead. Any particular reason for the Henry? You like leverguns? The action is quite smooth and it's a very accurate rifle when you learn to shoot.

I've shot Federal, Winchester and CCI through mine and it has no problems with either.

The Henry comes with a handbook and it gives cleaning instructions. Buy yourself a standard cleaning kit and a boresnake. I've found the Henry doesn't need to be cleaned a lot each time you go out, but do it anyway. The boresnake seems to be a better fit than the regular rod, brush and jig set up. You'll need to buy the thin patches, the thicker t-shirt like patch material is too hard to get into the barrel and the force may bend the rod, use the smaller, paper thin patches like the ones made by Outers. You can find them at WalMart.

Gun safety is gun safety, doesn't matter whether you're talking pistols or rifles. Just follow the four rules and you'll be okay. Find a place that offers beginning rifle training in your area to help you get started. And don't forget to have fun shooting.

9x18=Makarov

Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the Herry. I personally like the Marlin 39A better and think the Marlin is more accurate. I know, it just don`t look like what the cowboys carried. I think you`ll be happy with eather.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

No particular reason for a Henry lever rifle, more just it seemed like a lot of people recommended them. I wouldn't have a problem buying a Ruger or Marlin instead. How does it compare in accuracy to the Henry?

Thanks for all the advice and help so far.
Like I said I'm new to all of this and any help is appreciated.

Last edited by cny3123; 11-29-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

If you are wanting an accurate 22,I would suggest getting a bolt action. Not saying that lever actions aren't accurate,but most bolt actions are far more accurate than lever actions. On lever guns,the Marlin 39 is at the top. On bolts look at the CZ,Savage,Marlin they are all great guns,just depends on how much you want to spend.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #6

I am not opposed to any kind of .22 really, the gun I get has more to do with accuracy and price point. I am looking for something in the range of about $200 or so hopefully maybe give or take $50 if it is worth it.
I will look into the bolt actions some more.
Thanks.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

"cowboy assault rifle" wow what will they think of next

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

if you opt away from henry, i would go with marlin mod 60 or remington 597. ive heard from alot of 10/22 owners say they arent that accurate out of the box. personaly i dont know. the mod 60 was extreamly accurate otb with iron sights, plus its a good starter rifle, mpo

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
"cowboy assault rifle" wow what will they think of next
Well you know the original Henry was the world's first assault rifle....

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I shot a lever action henry today.

It was absoutely amazing. Such a smooth action. I WANT ONE!!

Don't hesitate for a second to get one.