First Rifle!!!!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First Rifle!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon11player
Ok so no light....but I am getting the laser no matter what....the laws are.....ummm I'm just looking for a simple rifle nothing fancy...caliber .22 or .23
For deer hunting, the stopping power is debatable. They also might not be ethical depending on where you live. I would recommend at LEAST a .243.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can't think of why a laser would be useful for deer hunting... But I'm a western muley guy. 200 yards is a close shot, and I don't think most lasers go that far... $400? You can get a Howa rifle with a decent asian (nikko-sterling) scope for $500 here in Utah... Haven't bought any guns out of state, cant imagine too big a price difference. I'd look real hard at a 30-06, not too much recoil, take most north American game (wouldn't recommend it for a grizzly)...

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #13

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Ok so no light....but I am getting the laser no matter what....the laws are.....ummm I'm just looking for a simple rifle nothing fancy...caliber .22 or .23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets

For deer hunting, the stopping power is debatable. They also might not be ethical depending on where you live. I would recommend at LEAST a .243.
Ditto this. A .22 CAN take a deer. Does it mean that should be your go to hunting rifle? Hell no. .243 should be about the minimum you need to go.

A .308 is also a very mild recoiling rifle, plentiful ammo, not too bad on price of ammo, and there are many scoped package rifles on the market in your price range. Savage axis comes to mind, as well as the weatherby vanguard. These can come equipped with a scope of good quality already mounted and factory sighted.

I really, REALLY, URGE you, please check into your local game laws. You could have caliber restrictions, action type restrictions, ammo restrictions, equipment restrictions (laser may not be legal in your area), and magazine capacity restrictions.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Please, please don't shoot deer with a .22LR. Unless you're close enough to beat it to death with the rifle butt, shooting at it with a round that small will just injure or maim the animal unless you pull off an absolute pinpoint shot. Skilled hunters use the correct tools for the job, and seek to avoid needless suffering by their prey. Hunting deer with a .22 fits none of those bills.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Skilled hunters use the correct tools for the job, and seek to avoid needless suffering by their prey. Hunting deer with a .22 fits none of those bills.
Ditto that, and even if the ethics don't bother you think of the fact that deer can and will run like hell went shot. They can cover ground crazy fast even while they're bleeding out. I know a hunter that still had to hike a couple miles into a ravine to retrieve a buck that was shot with a 30-06.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #16

Lol ok well .22 is out I guess I will go with .308....anymore suggestions ppl?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #17

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Lol ok well .22 is out I guess I will go with .308....anymore suggestions ppl?
Are you going hunting alone or with a buddy? I would recommend a hunter's safety course. (Here in GA it's required) No offense but it seems someone who is going deer hunting should look into things before asking questions like these. I'm not against asking questions, but a little research goes a long way. That being said a .308 is a good choice. I got a Savage model 111 rifle scope combo for $400. Will probably upgrade the scope one day, but for now it's fine.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah...hunting isn't MW3...all these attachments your talking about (legal or not; in your eyes) just weigh down your firearm. This isn't just park your truck and shoot...its walking far distances to find a position of maximum probability of seeing a deer. It makes a difference. Some states like NY don't have restrictions on caliber...but you can't shoot from a rimfire rifle. So. 22s are out of the question for big game. And...regardless if you care about laws...you'll care when your posting bail for illegally killing a deer. So check the regulations.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #19

Ok Thanks and yeah a few buddies invited me to go with them when deer season comes back around.....You have to start somewhere so Just asking around...

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #20

And im ordering the rifle offline...any suggestions on a website to fine one...reply with a link please