First Rifle!!!!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First Rifle!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Rifle!!!!!!

Going deer hunting this year....any recommendations for a rifle I should purchase I'm only looking to spend up to a max of $400????? And I also want to get an laser and light and scope as well....give me the info I need.....and any website links thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon11player View Post
Going deer hunting this year....any recommendations for a rifle I should purchase I'm only looking to spend up to a max of $400????? And I also want to get an laser and light and scope as well....give me the info I need.....and any website links thanks
check out the savage axis and the marlin X7 series of rifles. is $400 max for rifle, or rifle and scope? because if max for both, better start checking out used.

word of advise, light and laser on a deer rifle equals poaching, equals, illegal. hope the light and laser are for something else.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

I hope you are not going with a rimfire because you are in the rimfire section.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

How does that mean poaching???? And $400 just for the rifle... Not including laser,lights,ammo,

Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon11player
How does that mean poaching???? And $400 just for the rifle... Not including laser,lights,ammo,
If you had the light on your rifle while hunting it would be classed as "spot lighting." from what I've heard deer and some other animals tend to get more or less stunned when a bright light is flashed onto them.

I'm not exactly sure if you'd still be in trouble for having your light equipped surfing the day or not, but it's best to leave that stuff off while hunting and only have your scope mounted.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon11player
I wouldn't put a laser on a hunting rifle either, just my opinion. Maybe on an AR 15 or something, but that's out of your price range. Check out gunbroker .com and get with your local dealer to find something. Not a lot of stuff out there where you can get a rifle scope combo for $400. Also what caliber are you looking into? I just bought a Howa 1500 and I love the thing. It's very affordable and shoots flawlessly. You can find those on the website for cheap and some of them come in a combo with a Nikon scope. Good luck!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon11player View Post
Going deer hunting this year.... And I also want to get an laser and light and scope as well....give me the info I need.....

I've edited this: Do you know your states laws on lasers and lights for deer hunting? Lights are generally used at night...shining deer at night is illegal in most (probably) all states.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 01-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You don't need a laser for hunting, you need marksmanship practice. Hunting at night, except for some states and certain game (like some predator hunting) is generally illegal, which nullifies a weapon mounted light. However, it does happen on a regular basis that hunters are caught out after dark and need a light to navigate, so a good one in a butt pack would be a great investment.

In my area, hunting itself isn't worded as being illegal (in my state), it's firing a gun earlier than a half hour before sunrise, or later than a half hour after sunset WHILE hunting that is illegal. Again, certain game = certain exceptions (such as coon, and it has weapon restrictions)

You have a lot of learning to do young grasshopper, it would behoove you to first check with your state's game and wildlife agencies and become knowledgeable in all laws relevant to your chosen game.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #9

Ok so no light....but I am getting the laser no matter what....the laws are.....ummm I'm just looking for a simple rifle nothing fancy...caliber .22 or .23

Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

HR Handi-rifle combo 7mm-08. Scope and all less than $400.00. All are accurate and reliable. Academy sells them all the time.