First rifle, 10/22 TD with lots parts, what's next?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First rifle, 10/22 TD with lots parts, what's next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default First rifle, 10/22 TD with lots parts, what's next?

hey guys, first rifle worth talking about and my first post here !

i'll just preface this with, i'm just now getting into the great american tradition of gun ownership, i bought my first rifle on saturday which was a ruger 10/22 takedown, got it home and started playing with it, the first thing i noticed is how bad the bolt release is, it's a nightmare to me, i can only get it to slide after fiddling with it for a few minutes, i'm sure this just my ineptitude though as the reviews only say it's a slight bother, well long story short i found a bunch of little things on the rifle that i would like to fix for my use, so i got online last night and ordered a bunch of stuff up, but the bolt extractor started this whole thing.

i picked up

exact edge extractor- because why not, and if it ever fails i got the stock one as a replacement.

super extended mag release- one of the really long ones, i like being able to just flick my finger forward and make the clip drop

auto bolt release - because i really really hate the stock one and the whole dremel thing kind of put me off when i was reading about people not getting it right because there is a slight radius at the back of the piece.

bx25 clips x4

swivel mount and some spare rail for a light or some other accessory on the for-end.

so now the question, what do i do with all of this stuff and what tools am i going to need to get the job done? I'm a competent mechanic so figure i should be alright, but i also respect my firearms to such a degree that I'm a bit weary of doing this work , i have never taken a gun down this far before and am unsure of the difficulty and the nuances of it all, you guys got any tips or tricks for a rookie trying to get his head around this?

p.s. this sucks, i could never figure why you guys had alot more money into your guns then what the gun costs, i now get it and may be divorced soon because of it, lol , this really is addicting isn't it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You learn as you go. I would say to find a disassembly guide via google. Its usually on youtube, your gun manufacturers website, or somewhere on the net. I always lay out my screws in layers and generally where they are on the gun. Take the stock off, keep the screws with that. Take the next part apart, keep the screws beneath the stock, so on and so forth. I guess its just all up to you and what you find easier but you will learn as you go. Be gentle with things too. Don't just rip apart pieces or jam pieces here and there. If they are meant to go there, then they should generally not be a problem to put there. Depending on everything you got, you shouldn't need too much. Screwdrivers, allen wrenches sometimes, channel locks possibly, pin hammer. Nothing that shouldn't be in a mechanics tool set. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Yes it is very addictive.

My advice go slow. Take it in steps by looking at each part and learning what each part serves in function. Once you know what a part is and what it is supposed to do getting it back together is a snap.

The parts diagram in the ruger manual is pretty good for showing the general relationship of each piece to the next

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

hey thanks for the help guys, sounds like it's pretty straight forward then, you guys see anything else i should do while I'm in there, or just go out and have some fun with what i already got first?

i was worried about all of this crap about gunsmithing tools and screw driver sets, made me think for half a tic there that there ws something different about these or there might be some bits that i'm missing, i'd hate to get 1/2 way into it and have to leave my work table because i don't have a tool, as the next thing i know either the dog or the wife will have their way with my work space and some of the bits will be gone forever, lol

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just start with what you have. Down the road you will definitely want to invest in more. Not so much as you needing it but You can always find more and more that fits your fancy. New guns, new parts, whatever you can find. You should have all the tools needed like I said before. Just make sure that you don't force anything and don't over tighten screws. Make sure they are in there but over tightening them can be a big problem. Have some fun with it and keep trying to learn about you gun and about others. You will be fine. I have taken plenty of mine apart just to see how everything works(especially some of my semi-autos). Sometimes things don't sit right and you have problems with it but you have to just keep at it. I had one of my shotguns apart and back together 7 or 8 times before I finally figured out what was up with it. You learn as you go.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My $.02 to you,

read up on what parts to polish and what ones not to. while you have the rifle apart, you can work on the fit and finish of the bolt group as to me that seems to offer a lot of function improvement for just a little bit of time.

Curlyjoe

Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 View Post
My $.02 to you,

read up on what parts to polish and what ones not to. while you have the rifle apart, you can work on the fit and finish of the bolt group as to me that seems to offer a lot of function improvement for just a little bit of time.

Curlyjoe
actually i was just wondering about this, i'm going to sand blast my new extended release because it doesn't match the barrel of my gun, but was wondering about the tolerances and which bits of the release should be polished so it doesn't get hung up on anything, and from my understanding there seemed to be alot of parts that needed polishing and a bit of de-burr, but to be honest i think i want to hold of on some of the trigger work stuff until i see how i like the stock trigger and if i hate i'll probably just got with a drop in of some sort,learn my lesson, and pay closer attention to the trigger on my next purchase, the stock one feels a bit cheap to me, i really wished they had used metal, that said i'm still excited about my gun and will be doing some tune up to it as i go along....

i'll post up some pics on friday after i finish the job.