Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4521 Times on 2377 Posts
Likes Given: 259

If you have tried to clean a standard 10/22 you will be amazed at how easy this one is to clean.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Ruger 10-22 TD Model 11100 was evaluated in the August 2012 edition of "Gun Tests" magazine and received an "A" rating. A "home run" in their words.

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24_8/features/Ruger-Marlin-Browning-Takedowns5973-1.html

Sorry, I realize the link won't take you to the full article, but it's a very favorable review.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Last edited by treehugger49; 08-07-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've been getting some time at the range and I wanted to get an opinion on my accuracy and precision.

I'm shooting standing offhand at 7 yards. I'm not expecting to break any world records right now but I hoping for some feedback on what level I'm at. Both targets are ten shots.

I think I would like to adjust the sights a little bit. Right now I put the bead at 6 o clock like the Ruger manual says and it shoots a little low.

Another question I have is that when at 7 yards this target is slightly fuzzy when I focus on the front bead. At 50 feet the target is a blur. How do you snipers shoot stuff at 100 yards with just iron sights?!?!

Last edited by canyon289; 08-08-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #24

Canyon, don't focus on the front sight, line them up & focus on the target. As far as ammo goes, buy several small boxes of diff kinds as you find them on sale & note the result. Then when you find what your gun likes you can buy that in larger quantities. Most recommend the CCI's but that doesn't mean your gun will shoot them reliable & accurately most will but I have mark lll pistol that doesn't like them but it shoots the CCI blazers very well. The occasional dry fire will not hurt your rifle but if you're going to do extensive dry firing I would recommend removing the firing pin first. Some will handle it just fine others won't. For instance, the ruger mark pistols will bend the firing pin stop & then the firing pin will destroy the breech face. Not all have a notch to facilitate dry firing, neither my 10/22 or Mark lll 22-45 have this notch. the notch in most is for the extractor. You can always contact the manufacturer to be sure as you will have numerous opinions & some can damage your gun. Better safe with a phone call than sorry with the same phone call to order new parts. Just my opinion. Shoot straight, be safe & have fun.

Last edited by Biggjimm; 08-11-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Canyon 289, please don't be in a hurry to readjust your sights. I'm not sure what your primary purpose for this firearm is. If when you align the sights you see the target circle sitting on top of your front sight as a circle, this is a 6 o'clock hold and one prefered for target shooting. If your purpose is small game or more serious, most hunters sight in so that the alignment of the sights cuts the target in half. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #26

Canyon, if the gold bead is hard for you to see you might consider the fiber optic sights. Williams gun sights & Hi-Viz both make nice ones for your rifle. I put a set on my 10/22 & my mark lll pistol & it is a lot easier for me to line them up quickly. I took my red dot off & I now shoot open sights on both when I shoot steel matches & I was amazed at how much faster I am with the fiber optic set up. But some people don't care for them. You will have to handle or better yet shoot one with the fiber optics & see if they work better for you. Good luck & be careful a guy can get carried away with modifications for these guns real quick. But seriously they are an awful lot of fun to shoot. My daughter & her boyfriend & myself shoot a couple times a week & we have a blast.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A couple of days ago I flipped my front sight around so I wouldn't see the white diamond. It helped a little bit. I'm thinking the Hi Viz sights are the way to go to, I'm shooting at an indoor range and it's a bit dark.

I would like to try different sights but don't know too many people with guns so I guess I would have to buy each one and try it out.

As for my purpose for shooting, it's mostly to familiarize myself with firearms, as well as gain some accuracy and have some fun. I would like to get better though and it's frustrating when I can't see my sights that well. I'm trying to avoid scopes since I'm shooting on a 50 foot range and scopes would make things too easy at that distance.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Then I would suggest an aperture rear sight, if you are shooting and it gets to dark you can unscrew the center and using the rear as a "ghost ring" you're back in business. Your eye will naturally find the center of the aperature so all you worry about is aligning the front sight with the target. It is more accurate and with a little pracrice -faster.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #29

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggjimm
Canyon, don't focus on the front sight, line them up & focus on the target.
That's actually exactly the opposite of how I was taught to shoot with iron sights. My teachers (and just about every book on marksmanship I have read) stress that you focus on the front sight. Not the rear sight and not the target.

YMMV but it's always worked for me.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #30

Liked 252 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my 10/22TD likes the cci blazer. my best tip for the takedown is to properly adjust the barrel nut. i adjusted mine by twisting it all the way in then putting the barrel in. twist the nut out until it wont go anymore. take the barrel off give it three or four clicks of twist out then try to reassemble. it shouldnt mate up with the receiver. twist the nut inwards one click at a time until it locks in place tightly.

there is only one speed loader device the butler creek loader. it sorta works. altho it has dented some rounds so badly i had to take apart my bx25s to get the bullets out.

after properly adjusting the barrel nut/ spacer mine returns to zero after multiple sessions of disassembly.

best group shot with mine was with cci blazer 1.5 inches 4 shots 100yds.

you can safely dry fire 10/22s and most ruger 22's that are in stock configuration using stock barrels. some aftermarket barrels will be damaged by dry firing.
I'm glad to hear that , I mean you have to have the bolt open to take off or put on the barrel and dry firing is the only way I see except for snap caps or returning the bolt to zero . I wish they had added a decocker to this rifle.