First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I love mine. It shoots well and has gone over 1000rds without cleaning

Anyways, it is easy to damage this rifle since it can be broken down and the bag is so convenient that some may get used to throw it around and such. Watch for that. Read the manual, there is little more to add to what is indicated there. Excellent gun if you ask me. I love mine.

jd

Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt8110 View Post
Do not dry fire a rimfire or any rifle or hand gun for that matter.BUY SNAP CAPS, THEY MAKE THEM FOR ALL CALIBERS Cliff
snap caps in a 22lr WILL damage the firing pin and contrary to popular myth most modern 22lr are safe to dry fire

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
snap caps in a 22lr WILL damage the firing pin and contrary to popular myth most modern 22lr are safe to dry fire
Now I'm confused, snap caps will damage the firing pin but leaving the chamber empty wont? How hard is it to replace the firing pin if it does get damaged.

I have a question about the gold dot sight. I have a hard time seeing it at the indoor range I go shooting at so I'd like to know if there is something better. I've heard of fiber optic sights, how are those different? Also is it easy to replace the sights?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon289 View Post
Now I'm confused, snap caps will damage the firing pin but leaving the chamber empty wont? How hard is it to replace the firing pin if it does get damaged.

I have a question about the gold dot sight. I have a hard time seeing it at the indoor range I go shooting at so I'd like to know if there is something better. I've heard of fiber optic sights, how are those different? Also is it easy to replace the sights?
thats because 22lr snap caps have hard metal rims much harder than brass. centerfire caps have a soft plastic insert in the primer pocket. if you want a way to dry fire a 22lr use a spent 22lr case.

all ruger firearms as it comes from the factory have either cutouts like the mk 1-2-3 pistol series for the firing pin or a reccessed space in the chamber that doesnt strike metal. the bolt design prevents the firing pin from going forward too far. im not sure about the sr22.

firing pins on ruger 10/22 are super easy to swap out. just one push pin in the bolt. if you press the firing pin forward taking the pressure off the pin it practically falls out on its own

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #15

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

canyon289 The ruger can stand the occational dry fire as the fireing pin does NOT hit the barrel. It happens to all that forget to count rounds. The factory mags are very good and there is a connector to hold 3 of them together -http://www.eabco.com/store/products/TriMag_10_22_Mag_Connector-6-0.html

You may like most buy bulk 22 ammo . Don't expect good results from it. But you may get lucks and be happy with it. Now save your extra dollar for the future 10//2 improvement fund. ha

If you like open sights tech-sights has a peep sight upgrade too. -http://www.tech-sights.com/

Enjoy your ruger and be safe.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

hardluk1,
You're dead on, I am buying bulk ammo but I'm getting CCI mini mags. It seems like it's a favorite here.

Here are the links
http://www.slickguns.com/product/cci-tactical-22lr-ammunition-dry-storage-box-1500-rnds-8499-5-sh-over-150
http://www.slickguns.com/product/2500-rounds-cci-mini-mags-22-lr-40-gr-13797

Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #17

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

I'm just wondering here.....what would really be the need for a takedown model? The one thing I can think of is hiking or camping, but the 10/22 is already a pretty small carbine. Same thing with the Sub 20000. The one I saw, the guy had a bitch of a time getting the mechanism to release & fold. I don't think I'm a fan of folding or disassembling guns.....

Old 08-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

After shooting it I am impressed with it's performance, just as a machine. It's well and simply built and in the hands of much more experienced shooters it hold nice groups. If I were to into hunting small game this gun would be fantastic.

I bought one because my dad is anti gun and it's much easier to hide than a regular rifle. People at the gun range have also mentioned that it's less conspicous as well and they don't mind giving it to their kid.

I live in gun unfriendly Socal fyi.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #19

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon289
I've also got some problems with the stock front sight (darn old eyes!). Ive got a handgun with fiber optic sights and I've handled another rifle with them, and I really like them. Much more visible in any reasonable light. I've also been considering adding a set to my 10/22 TD.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #20

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I'm just wondering here.....what would really be the need for a takedown model? The one thing I can think of is hiking or camping, but the 10/22 is already a pretty small carbine. Same thing with the Sub 20000. The one I saw, the guy had a bitch of a time getting the mechanism to release & fold. I don't think I'm a fan of folding or disassembling guns.....
If you're going to be carrying it in your hand or on a sling there really isn't any reason to have a TD. It's nice if you want to stuff it into your pack or a duffle while traveling, though. It's also a bit easier to stow if you are carrying it as part of an emergency kit in a car or private plane. If you were flying commercial, it would fit in a regular checked bag rather than an obvious rifle case Finally, as someone else mentioned, it forms a less obviously "gun" package when carrying around to the range or hunting grounds.

As far as takedown and reassembly, Ruger has done a brilliant job there and I can do either on my TD in around 1-2 seconds.