First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips?

I bought my first gun yesterday, a 10/22 takedown. I want to ask for ANY tips you have regarding anything on .22 rifles or guns specifically.

Unfortunately my dad hates firearms so I won't get this talk from him.

Here's what I do know. Don't dry fire rimfire guns, it'll damage the hammer. Other than that, what ammo should I buy (CCI looks like a favorite here), how should I maintain the gun, what upgrades should I get etc.

Also keep the tips CA legal. This state's gun laws suck. I should really say I paid for a 10/22 takedown but it's sitting in a gun shop for 10 days......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Canyon- first, welcome to the Forum- we're glad you found your way here.

The 10-22 is sort of the Barbie Doll of 22 rifles. The price of a Barbie is quite reasonable. But then you need Barbie clothes, Barbie's car, Barbie's Dream House, and....... well, you get the idea. Good rifle- has more accessories that a Harley Dealership.

CCI makes a very decent 22 cartridge. There are better. Known as Match grade ammo, you will pay a LOT more.

Cleaning and maintenance- first, read the manual. If you do not HAVE the manual, go to the Ruger website and download it. Second, do not over clean it. .22 rimfire IS somewhat dirty, and you will need to clean powder residue from the action- the barrel- not so much.

Dry firing MANY .22s will damage the firing pin or mouth of the chamber. Remember that a .22 is NOT a toy- it has enough power to inflict a fatal wound, and CAN drive a bullet about a mile and a half. Know your target, what is beyond, and keep your bloody finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.

http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

As you get some specific questions, come on back. DO spend some time reading thru threads that have already been posted on that topic.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I can't buy the BX-25 magazine but I was wondering if there were similarly styled magazines that were limited to ten rounds. I asked because I'm not terribly thrilled with the rectangular rotary magazine, it fits nice and flush but I'm not too pleased with the sharp corners when reloading.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

If I remember correctly, JonM, one of our venerated moderators, just bought the exact same gun. He has some hands on experience with this gun and again...IIRC, he really liked it. If he doesn't show up in this thread, try to PM him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you his 2 cents...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Congratulations on the new rifle! Enjoy it safely. Don't take a bunch of people with you the first time you take it plinking, take one or two level-headed, calm friends. Go ahead and use some earplugs and safety glasses, stuff rarely happens when you are ready for it. Those splat-marked targets are worth it.

It is my understanding that CA limits magazine capacity, not quantity; buy several of the ten round mags and look for some kind of mag loader to make it easier to seat the round in the mag without hurting your thumb.

http://www.tech-sights.com/
An option if you don't like your iron sights.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-25-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

my 10/22TD likes the cci blazer. my best tip for the takedown is to properly adjust the barrel nut. i adjusted mine by twisting it all the way in then putting the barrel in. twist the nut out until it wont go anymore. take the barrel off give it three or four clicks of twist out then try to reassemble. it shouldnt mate up with the receiver. twist the nut inwards one click at a time until it locks in place tightly.

there is only one speed loader device the butler creek loader. it sorta works. altho it has dented some rounds so badly i had to take apart my bx25s to get the bullets out.

after properly adjusting the barrel nut/ spacer mine returns to zero after multiple sessions of disassembly.

best group shot with mine was with cci blazer 1.5 inches 4 shots 100yds.

you can safely dry fire 10/22s and most ruger 22's that are in stock configuration using stock barrels. some aftermarket barrels will be damaged by dry firing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Don't shoot CCIs 10/22's will shoot anything you put in them good, so you might as well shoot the cheap stuff.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate the advice with the basic questions! I'm glad to hear the gun isn't damaged with dry firing. As of now I'm concentrating so hard on shooting I don't count the rounds and end up dry firing after the 10th shot.

Another noob question I have is, why do some guns bolt remain back after the final round in a magazine and some don't? Are there reasons you'd want one or the other?

Last edited by canyon289; 07-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon289 View Post
I appreciate the advice with the basic questions! I'm glad to hear the gun isn't damaged. As of now I'm concentrating so hard on shooting I don't count the rounds and end up dry firing after the 10th shot.

Another noob question I have is, why do some guns bolt remain back after the final round in a magazine and some don't? Are there reasons you'd want one or the other?
Some remain open because its a feature designed into them to aid in loading fresh ammunition. Volquartsen makes a bolt hold open lever that allows you to lock the bolt back then then just pull the charging handle to release. Not really neccessary but its damn convinient and doesnt cost much for the part.

The takedown already comes with an extended mag release . You dont really need anything but extra mags and ammo with the takedown model. Its a steller firearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default new rimfire 10-22

Do not dry fire a rimfire or any rifle or hand gun for that matter.BUY SNAP CAPS, THEY MAKE THEM FOR ALL CALIBERS Cliff