Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the firearms world (if you read my intorduction thread you'll know that already).

Anyways, I'm just starting out and am looking for a good beginner .22 rimfire rifle. I'm not too sure what I want, however it will mostly be used for just plinking and practice.
I do like good ol' bolt actions, but I think I want a semi-auto just so i can pound out rounds quick and get my skill level up.

I do plan to keep it for awhile - so good quality is a factor, and price is not really consideration, provided its not made of gold

Does any one have a particular rifle that they're happy with and would recommend (or advise to stay away from) or even just brands that i could research up on?
How about something in between ?
Marlin makes a very nice lever action 22 with a milled receiver and plate.
These are capable for many rounds of fun. If it's a bit pricey Henry makes excellent 22 rifles for cheap. If your going to do a lot of shooting though go with the Marlin.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #32

what you saw was the new Ruger .22 Charger pistol. Thing kicks ass, basicly its a factory 10/22 action with a pistol grip, a bipod and a short barrel. BTW my first gun was a 10/22 given to me by my father, loved it then, still do. Thing is just the most fun to shoot.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #33

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Winchester Model 310, .22 cal. rimfire, single shot, bolt action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the firearms world (if you read my intorduction thread you'll know that already).

Anyways, I'm just starting out and am looking for a good beginner .22 rimfire rifle. I'm not too sure what I want, however it will mostly be used for just plinking and practice.
I do like good ol' bolt actions, but I think I want a semi-auto just so i can pound out rounds quick and get my skill level up.

I do plan to keep it for awhile - so good quality is a factor, and price is not really consideration, provided its not made of gold

Does any one have a particular rifle that they're happy with and would recommend (or advise to stay away from) or even just brands that i could research up on?
I ran across a Winchester Model 310 several years ago, single shot, but it was stolen a little later. I have since run across another, just for sentimental reasons, and as a keepsake. This little rifle could drive nails and great fun to shoot....you had to concentrate on making the first shot count, and I did many times on squirrels, right through the eye "so-to-speak". It was modeled after the Winchester Model 70, with checkered stock, bolt action, sling rings and pistol type grip. With an added scope you can't go wrong, although they are hard to find now-a-days. Here's a photo for your edification.
winchester-model-310-.22-cal-1200.jpg   winchester-model-310-.22-cal-rifle.jpg  

Last edited by teaberryeagle; 12-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #34

My first rifle was a remington 581 bolt action with detachable clip magazine. I found a 10 shot mag in a pawn shop new in a package even today. I paid 56 bucks back in the uh..."early 70's" and it is still going strong today. A bolt action has simplicity going for it, reliability due to it's simplicity and the added training value of teaching you good shooting habits. There is also something satisfying in deliberately shooting an empty .22 casing off the target stand from 50 yards after putting in a single round. Even my wife has done this with her crickett rifle as a nearly brand new shooter this fall. A lightning fast follow up shot is a concept i feel is overrated for most hunting situations, especially for a new shooter. Just my .02 on that and nothing against anyone who feels otherwise....the sport is awesome however we do it.

I'll admit, it's pretty fun to make a shotgun shell dance on the ground with a semi-auto...lol...but for a first rifle i would go bolt, which of course gives you a reason to "need" another gun down the road. Catch my drift?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd go with a Marlin 60, it's a real good accurate rifle and for the price you can't beat it.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #36

I too allso would go with a marlin 60. I own 2 a new one from walmart and a glenfeild 60. Both I am dead on with easy to clean and best 22 out there for a first timer.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #37

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A single-shot Remington Model 6 was good enough for me as a 1st 22, it should be good enough for anybody! Ha, j/k, I can't argue against the 10/22 or the Glenfield 60 as they both will provide great enjoyment and superb opportunities to learn. But, if I were to vary from that opinion, I might suggest a bolt action rifle as a first weapon just from a safety perspective, depending on the new shooter's level of maturity and expertise.

Tags
.22 lr, first firearm