First .22 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah I thought about the .17 but it seems less useful and more expensive. I've handled a few .22's so I know that they don't have any kick. So I don't need the smaller calibre for that reason.

I think the .17's are neat, but I don't need one just yet.

I'm looking at the K-10/22-t, but the store says it doesn't have a SS barrel but that its some sort of composite (not blued though) its like a silver matte. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see for myself!

Hey, pray for us Canadians! The long gun registry vote happens today! If it passes the long-gun registry is abolished from government! It's taken 15 years of work to bring an end to that - and God knows how many innocent gun-owners have had their firearms confiscated by the government because of it!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinhick View Post
have you thought of a .17 hmr or .17 m2 ill tell you from experiance im 18 years old (young i know) i bought an old savage .22 when i was 9 when i purchased my .17hmr it blew my mind the accuracy, and devastating ballistics that the tiny cartridge could produce
I love the 17HMR and am getting ready to build a 17m2 but for the average plinker they are expensive down thew road. My Savage is a tack driver but I get out one of my 10-22's twice as often. You can not beat 16 bucks for 550 rounds of fun.

The rifles like the 17HMR or m2 are not really good for a first rimfire shooter or buyer. But they are a lot of fun. Just maybe as a second or third type thing. I do have ot admit though busting a crow at 100 yards and watching the "p00f" is pretty entertaining.

All the above mentioned rifles are great. I'm a Ruger 10-22 fan personally though I've had the Marlin(s) and a Remington. I like the aftermarket access to update the rifle easily and there is no denying the Ruger's accuracy or reliability right out of the box.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #23

well buddy like i said which ever way you go just have fun, be safe and good luck on the abolishment of that law it sounds pretty nasty around here we have bumper stickers that say"you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" and i would hate to see what would happen if someone tried to confiscate firearms

Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey - so the law didn't get repealed - it won by 2 votes, looks like I'll have to register the firearms after-all.

Anyways, I did pick up the k10-22t. target model since I'm mostly target shooting and I want to work on accuracy but with a semi-auto. thanks for all the ideas/advice guys.

Now I just need to pick out a scope! Anyone have experience with those? Range 30-100 yrds, price under 300?
I have a nikon one in mind, but I like to hear about other peoples experiences since I'm still new to the sport.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #25

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I use Bushnell 4x12 Sportview scopes on my 22's. They are really cheap and are clear. THere's better ones out there but for the money they work great and I find it hard to pay high dollar for a 22 scope. My father in lay has one on a Remington 30 06 and it works well. I figured it be plenty good for a 22.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #26

I use a Simmons scope on my 10/22. They are inexpensive and in my experiences are a great value. I also use one on my .50 cal muzzleloader. For the price they are an awesome scope.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Savage mark IIs are great .22 my favorite bolt action rimfire. They are extremely low priced too. I got the basic version at walmart for 120 out the door. And they are some of the most accurate .22s on the market.

But if its a semi that you want then yeah 10/22 all the way!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 AM   #28

ok i may sound stupid for this but i took a LONG shot and went with a barska 4-12*40 drop compensated scope for my .17 and my .22 and ive shot sub moa groups regularly with both and it had the drop compensation drum so no click chart or mil dots and for 80 bucks couldnt beat it and also i liked them so much that im dropping a barska on my new .223 rifle i dont know how well it will deal with the slightly higher recoil but if it doesnt work hell i only blew 60 bucks, and if it does work i spent 60 bucks for my scope which is awesome

Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2089 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinhick View Post
ok i may sound stupid for this but i took a LONG shot and went with a barska 4-12*40 drop compensated scope for my .17 and my .22 and ive shot sub moa groups regularly with both and it had the drop compensation drum so no click chart or mil dots and for 80 bucks couldnt beat it and also i liked them so much that im dropping a barska on my new .223 rifle i dont know how well it will deal with the slightly higher recoil but if it doesnt work hell i only blew 60 bucks, and if it does work i spent 60 bucks for my scope which is awesome
Good to hear. I've been thinking about putting one on my .22 as well.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #30
ET1

Get a good bolt action if you are going to keep it for 50 or so years. I got my 22LR bolt action from Western Auto back in 1966. It has a chromed bolt and trigger/trigger guard. I've shot it for 45 years now and it is still going strong. If I had opted for the semi that they had on the rack next to it, I just don't think it would be shooting today with it's original parts intact. I'm not sure who manufactured it for them, but it is a quality rifle.

Tags
.22 lr, first firearm