First .22 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

First .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I'm starting to see where the 10/22 gets its modification reputation.

What can a 22rimfire take down hunting-wise, just varmints - or not even that?

BTW, I'm also considering a Beretta 92fs or Colt 1911. Now by law its not supposed intended to be used for self-defense in Canada (though not illegal) - so officially I'm NOT considering it for that purpose. BUT...hypothetically speaking if a situation occurred where a person was trying to stop another person from doing them harm. would anyone here recommend the use of a 9mm, .40 cal, or .45cal. or would it not really matter. Which one is more fun to fire at the range also?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
I think I'm starting to see where the 10/22 gets its modification reputation.

What can a 22rimfire take down hunting-wise, just varmints - or not even that?

BTW, I'm also considering a Beretta 92fs or Colt 1911. Now by law its not supposed intended to be used for self-defense in Canada (though not illegal) - so officially I'm NOT considering it for that purpose. BUT...hypothetically speaking if a situation occurred where a person was trying to stop another person from doing them harm. would anyone here recommend the use of a 9mm, .40 cal, or .45cal. or would it not really matter. Which one is more fun to fire at the range also?
I have a CZ 452 .22 LR. It shoots 3/4" at 50 yards with Rem. Yellow Jackets and easily dispatches game up to the size of groundhogs.

I range fired a 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 Colt plus a 44 Mag. I found the 45 the most fun. I'm a fan of the single action revolver.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright, so it would looks like I'm going for a ruger K10/22-T - seems to be a good version right out of the box. Stainless steel barrel I'm thinking is better than blued for rust resistance.

I was thinking of the 10/22 RPB carbine, but it seems like that one is more suited for customization and for the moment I just want a plain ol' out of the box gun.

Feel free to caution me if I'm making a mistake though!

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

If you want a basic .22, it's hard to beat the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. Either one of those rifles will do you very well.

I'm partial myself to the Smith & Wesson AR15-22. But I'm not sure it's legal in Canada.

As for your self defense questions... I prefer the 1911 design to the Beretta. The Beretta just doesn't feel good in my hands. Now that doesn't mean anything as to which is a better gun. Try them out and see which feels better to you. Try out a lot of others as well. For me, I love the feel of a Springfield XDm.

Round size is a debate that will continue to go for centuries. 9mm would be the least expensive alternative. .45 is the most expensive of the three, but big holes stop threats faster (so the theory goes). I prefer .40 for my SD gun.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 09-19-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Alright, so it would looks like I'm going for a ruger K10/22-T - seems to be a good version right out of the box. Stainless steel barrel I'm thinking is better than blued for rust resistance.

I was thinking of the 10/22 RPB carbine, but it seems like that one is more suited for customization and for the moment I just want a plain ol' out of the box gun.

Feel free to caution me if I'm making a mistake though!
The 10/22 is a great gun. I'm not sure if you are planning on scoping the gun or not, but with that particular model you will not have iron sights, so scoping will be necessary.

When scoping a rifle, good mounts/rings are important. this is what i have on my 10/22, and it works excellently:
Ruger 10-22-one inch scope tube-Low Mount-Black [11080] - $59.95 : Welcome To DNZProducts.com. When Accuracy is a Must, Choose...DNZ Products, Made from top grade billet aluminum, When Accuracy is a Must, Choose...DNZ Products

When I first added a scope to my 10/22, I made the mistake of using cheap rings. I couldn't get it to hold zero. I could sight it in, but when I traveled, something was moving. I saw this one on sale at MidwayUsa, and gave it a try.

Last edited by PTsouthpaw; 09-19-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #16

You can never go wrong with a good old bolt-action Cooey. However if you want to go the semi route then the Ruger 10/22, Rem 597 or the Marlin 60 are all excellent options.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #17

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 433

I tend to lean toward a good quality bolt action as a first. You may decide that it's all you will need. If you are dead set on a semi-auto, then the 10-22 is a good choice. They are accurate, reasonably priced and there is no shortage of cool goodies for them.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #18

have you thought of a .17 hmr or .17 m2 ill tell you from experiance im 18 years old (young i know) i bought an old savage .22 when i was 9 when i purchased my .17hmr it blew my mind the accuracy, and devastating ballistics that the tiny cartridge could produce

Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinhick View Post
have you thought of a .17 hmr or .17 m2 ill tell you from experiance im 18 years old (young i know) i bought an old savage .22 when i was 9 when i purchased my .17hmr it blew my mind the accuracy, and devastating ballistics that the tiny cartridge could produce
But much more expensive to shoot.

Had one myself, but sold it. Just wasn't shooting it enough compared to my .22

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #20

yes i will admit it is much more expensive to shoot, and sorry about the last message i left out the fact that if you were going to go with a .22, i would suggest a ruger 10/22, accurate, dependable, an insane number of after market parts and accessories, even today while ordering my new rifle at a local gun shop i saw a ruger 10/22 action with a pistol like stock and a short barrel pretty much a conversion to a pistol, it is amazing the things you can turn the good ole ruger in to, but any way you go trust me you will enjoy shooting it was always and still is my favorite hobby, and hopefully is leading to my future career as a marine scout sniper

Tags
.22 lr, first firearm

Newest Threads