First 10/22 plus Barska scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > First 10/22 plus Barska scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 361 Posts

Default First 10/22 plus Barska scope

As the title states, got a basic 10/22 for myself for Christmas, got a great deal at a local gun show. Last Sunday went to another show and got a great deal on a Barska Huntmaster 3-9x40 scope.I didn't bother leveling the scope just eyeballed it as I doubt I'll ever shoot over 100 yards with it. Anyway, off to the range this morning to sight it in, wish me luck... Oh bye the way I've never done this before, gonna go with the guesstamation method

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1389195217.821763.jpg

Almost forgot photos
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1389213035.589428.jpg

Slowly walked it in

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1389213086.021491.jpg

Then had a couple flyers... Then noticed my rail was slightly loose. I was worried I was going to over torque the screws.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1611 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 561

With the high mounts on your gun you will need zero the scope in at 60/75 yards. If you don't it will shoot high at 60/75 yards. 100 yards is a great shot with a 22 LR. High velocity 22 LR (CCI Mini Mag) ammo drops over 6" at 100 yards. Somewhere around 75/80 yards the 22 LR throws the anchor out.

You need to work on your breathing. Get the crosshairs real close - Tighten up on the trigger- exhale -aim - squeeze.

That is a very nice gun you have. Take the gun riding in a vehicle. If the scope drifts, return it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-08-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Use some blue Locktite on the mounting screws for the base. The stock is designed for iron sights so it has too much drop for a scope. Padding the stock for a better cheek weld will help. Lower rings would get the scope a little lower and require less padding. You should be able to shoulder the rifle with your eyes closed and be looking at the reticle when you open them with out shifting your head. Hard to do with a factory stock.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

vincent Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default First 10/22 plus Barska scope

Thanks for the advice, nothing like slapping something together and shooting it to figure out what's wrong. That and both of your comments line up perfectly with what I experienced today. I think the first thing I need are some low pro scope rings, a good cheek weld was impossible. I know the receiver is aluminum and I don't want to strip it, finger tight then 1/4 turn more plus locktight?

Question, you think low profile scope rings and the hogue over molded stock will get it lined up a bit better?

Last edited by TankTop; 01-09-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Thanks for the advice, nothing like slapping something together and shooting it to figure out what's wrong. That and both of your comments line up perfectly with what I experienced today. I think the first thing I need are some low pro scope rings, a good cheek weld was impossible. I know the receiver is aluminum and I don't want to strip it, finger tight then 1/4 turn more plus locktight?

Question, you think low profile scope rings and the hogue over molded stock will get it lined up a bit better?
Try to find an inch pound torque wrench. Your scope will be much more consistent with all the screws tightened properly. Weaver publishes a list of the amount of torque each screw should have on it. 20 inch pounds would be about right for the base. The rings also get 20 inch lb. The quick detach screws should get 60 inch lb. I would check weavers list to make sure I am correct. You can get an inch pound wrench at harbor freight for a reasonable price. You should also use the torque wrench when you assemble your gun after cleaning. Otherwise you will have to set the scope each and every time you clean the gun. The ring that holds the barrel is not so important but the screw that goes through the bottom of the stock into the receiver should be tightened the same each and every time.

One last thing, never use a torque wrench to loosen screws.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I'll second the blue Loctite...

Had the exact same problem when I scoped mine, worrying about over tightening and it came loose at the range... Very frustrating but a good learning experience...

The blue is removable, the red is permanent...(ish)

Good lookin' gun and nice shootin'...congrats!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For scope mounts locktite is best. For things that you will remove fingernail polish is a better alternative. In time locktite will strip the threads on things you take off and replace.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

you can also use nail polish... ive it used it on 2 rifles now.. works great.. but can be easily broken free if ever needed.. i was very impressed.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.