Final finish
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Final finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Final finish

My trying to learn as much as possible about firearms care, I happened across Chuck Hawks web site. He has an article written by Bill Johnson about affordable accuracy (http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm).

Curiosity led me to the David Tubb web site and the article on Final Finish (http://www.davidtubb.com/davidtubb/content/templates/common/pdfs/break_in_article_new.pdf).

My question is, has anyone tried this, or know someone who had, or has heard about results (good or bad)?

It sounds almost too good to be true. For less than $40, improving the rifle's accuracy by up to 60%.

i.candide
Dangerous to oneself

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandide View Post
My trying to learn as much as possible about firearms care, I happened across Chuck Hawks web site. He has an article written by Bill Johnson about affordable accuracy (Affordable Accuracy).

Curiosity led me to the David Tubb web site and the article on Final Finish (http://www.davidtubb.com/davidtubb/content/templates/common/pdfs/break_in_article_new.pdf).

My question is, has anyone tried this, or know someone who had, or has heard about results (good or bad)?

It sounds almost too good to be true. For less than $40, improving the rifle's accuracy by up to 60%.
If it sounds to gud to be true---------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

This will probably get multiple opinions- here's mine-

The degree of accuracy sought with that product and process would be discernable to a long range benchrest shooter that is trying to shrink a group from .39 to .30. Sorta like putting a turbo on a Yugo for a lot of folks.

I have seen several products used for fire lapping. Some swear by it, some swear at it. Some barrels may need it more than others. I do have a couple of older target rifles with hand lapped barrels- and they all shoot better than I can.

Would this give you OMG accuracy out of a Mini-14? Doubt it. Could it improve the accuracy of a 6mm BR rifle? Possibly.

Used to know a guy that ran a "Speed Shop"- place that sold aftermarket stuff to go on a car when you were building a racer. Had a sign that said "Speed is expensive. How fast did you want to go?" Same thing applies to accuracy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.