Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Economical Target Pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/economical-target-pistol-90430/)

Hightide 05-10-2013 04:19 AM

Economical Target Pistol

I am considering purchasing a new .22 pistol for some economical but serious target shooting. I have an old Ruger Mark I and a Colt Huntsman. However, it's time to get something new in the rimfire area.
I would like to stay under $500 or so. Consequently, considering a Ruger Mark III with the bull barrel. However, I just noticed the Smith & Wesson Model 22A with the 7" barrel. Frankly, I love my MP 9mm and I like the fact that the 22A has a rail for some after market sights. However, I have not met anyone who owns one.
Any and all thoughts and input would be appreciated. Preferences? Reviews on the SW? Comparisons? Other makes to consider in this range?

hiwall 05-10-2013 04:24 AM

For the money those Rugers are pretty tough to beat.

JW357 05-10-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightide
I am considering purchasing a new .22 pistol for some economical but serious target shooting. I have an old Ruger Mark I and a Colt Huntsman. However, it's time to get something new in the rimfire area.
I would like to stay under $500 or so. Consequently, considering a Ruger Mark III with the bull barrel. However, I just noticed the Smith & Wesson Model 22A with the 7" barrel. Frankly, I love my MP 9mm and I like the fact that the 22A has a rail for some after market sights. However, I have not met anyone who owns one.
Any and all thoughts and input would be appreciated. Preferences? Reviews on the SW? Comparisons? Other makes to consider in this range?

I don't have the S&W M&P 22 personally, but I've done a fair amount of research. If memory serves they are actually produced by Walther and distributed by S&W. is that the correct way to say that?

Anyway they're supposed to be great 22 handguns. My advice is to get one if you like your M&P 9 so much. They're supposed to feel almost the exact same in shooting, with the obvious exception of caliber which means recoil. But the ergos are exactly the same, unless for example your 9 doesn't have a thumb safety. As I understand all the M&P 22s have one.

I'm very sure you can find a good used one in your budget if you do your homework.

I know you we're talking about the 22A and not the M&P 22, but that's my advice since you already have the 9. But I'm sure the 22A is a fine pistol too.

jackrich3 05-10-2013 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Browning Buckmark

mrt8110 05-10-2013 11:46 AM

Economical Target Pistol

I havw sold them for Bass Pro in MA.,they do look nice but to me they are cumbersome to hold.Had no negative feedback from those who bought one,they all had big hands! Cliff:)

mountainman13 05-10-2013 12:15 PM

The 22A is a great starter budget pistol I always recommend it for new shooters getting into the sport. I prefer the ruger, it tends to be a bit more expensive.
Btw you said colt huntsman, you do realize what you have there,right?

mountainman13 05-10-2013 12:19 PM

Arg...fu#?ing phone

ScottA 05-10-2013 01:11 PM

Of course the Ruger will be top of many's lists. I'd recommend checking out the S&W M&P 22 as well. I was very impressed with the trigger on that gun.

FrontierTCB 05-10-2013 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Ruger 22/45 and I really like it. It's very accurate. The only complaint I have is that it is a complete PITA to strip and reassemble.

Attachment 100355

I paid about $300 for it back in Dec.

mountainman13 05-10-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierTCB (Post 1242509)
I have a Ruger 22/45 and I really like it. It's very accurate. The only complaint I have is that it is a complete PITA to strip and reassemble.

Lol that is the typical complaint. It's really not that bad if you know a couple of tricks. It can be aggravating as a hornet in your pants the first time. Lol