Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Dry firing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/dry-firing-86179/)

zackthatsit 03-10-2013 01:35 AM

Dry firing

Why is it bad to dry fire a .22 rifle??

fa35jsf 03-10-2013 01:40 AM

From what I know, and I ain't claiming to be no expert, the problem with dry firing a rimfire gun is the firing pin strikes the face of the chamber causing undue stress on the firing pin. With a center fire gun the pin hits nothing, not causing stress.

Thats just what has always been told to me. However, I would be a hypocrite to say I have never dry fired my .22

drvsafe 03-10-2013 01:42 AM

Not a good thing. I wouldn't. Think about it. If there is no rim for the firing pin to strike it has to hit something else, and the chamber is what it will hit. Needless to say that can't e a good thing for the chamber edge. So I would say its a bad thing.

Garadex 03-10-2013 03:23 AM

Depends on the gun, Ruger .22s are okay and I've dry fired my Savage .22 a bunch and there are no problems so far.

mrt8110 03-10-2013 01:25 PM

Dry firing

The cartridge case acts as a shock absorber in the rim fire & center fire. Dry firing a rim fire causes the firing pin to strike the outside of the chamber causing damage to the firing pin and or peening the chamber .

Dry firing a center fire causes the firing pin to travel to far possibly damaging the firing pin .

I do not dry fire,my suggestion buy snap caps!

Y'all have a good day. :) Cliff

jgoertz 03-10-2013 02:43 PM

We've had this thread more than once. The consensus is: rim fire no, center fire ok.
World Champion Doug Koenig says he dry fires 20,000 (thousand ) times a year with his competition guns w/o snap caps. If it's ok for him , it's ok for me.

Jagermeister 03-10-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgoertz (Post 1170873)
We've had this thread more than once. The consensus is: rim fire no, center fire ok.
World Champion Doug Koenig says he dry fires 20,000 (thousand ) times a year with his competition guns w/o snap caps. If it's ok for him , it's ok for me.

Yes, most modern center fire weapons can be dry fired. Yet, if I have a question about my guns, I go straight to the source. I hate to null and void my warranty. Yes, never dry fire a rim fire weapon.

drvsafe 03-10-2013 04:22 PM

None of my pistols' manuals state anything about NOT dry firing...except my Nano. It states in the manual to use a "snap cap" when dry firing.
9mm snap caps are about as hard to find as the ammo itself. So I popped the primer out of a spent case and cut a pencil eraser to fit. Works for me.

HockaLouis 03-10-2013 04:29 PM

ESPECIALLY a .22 rimfire! The pin is hitting the outside face of the chamber!! Everything is getting damaged!!! Even centerfires... All the energy has to go somewhere other than into the primer/case and that's not good for the parts either -- they are fighting not to break at that point.

c3shooter 03-10-2013 04:41 PM

SOME rimfires- Ruger jumps to mind- not a problem. Others, for reasons already stated, no.

IF the FP DOES hit the rim of the chamber, it begins to ding the chamber mouth, Eventually, the metal that SHOULD be supporting the rim is dented, and you can have misfires.

You may also encounter fail to extract- that ding pushed metal out into the chamber, which is a burr against the casing. If you see a bright scratch on the case, in one spot, running rim to mouth- that be it.

A good gunsmith can fix this a time or two- not by reaming it out, but by putting metal back where it belongs. Brownell's sells a Chamber Iron to do this.

Me? Cheapskate. I use a Stanley Nail Set- tap gently in to place, leave it there, use a flat tipped punch beside it to dress the metal into place. Gently does it.