Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Drinking the 10/22 Kool-Aid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The guy above was talking about bullet holes in a target not engine tolerances or building a Mars Lander. Who uses a micrometer to measure their groups??? 1/8" or 3/8" is damn fine shooting in anybody's book, I doubt if a few thousandths of an inch more or less will be important.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
Ah, but .1' isn't the equivalent of 1/8" and .3" isn't the equivalent of 3/8"! The difference isn't a lot, unless you are talking tolerances in firearms or engine building. Then it becomes huge! Remember, it was a simple failure to convert english to metric that caused NASA engineers to waste over $100 million dollars worth of equipment around Mars! I'm just a lawyer, not an engineer, but if even I know better, then.....

Seriously, I know this isn't a big deal, at least at the range. Like I said, I was having a bit of an OCD moment.
To me it is just the short way of saying .100 or .300. I am a machinist and work with these numbers all the time. When I first started out, everything was properly pronounced and the way that I pronounce the numbers now, you wouldn't know where the decimal is.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #73

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

damn a lawyer and wants it convereted to metric but you still have the .00000 mm damn kids

Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #74

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Well.... your point sort of proves mine. Yes, the popularly used fractions can be converted (hence my .5" comment), but they are generally recognized as such, at least the .25 and .75. That still leaves the whole ".1" and ".3" that I see more and more of.

I would have had math teachers, not to mention wood shop and metal shop teachers, smacking me on the side of my head if I had given a ".3" as an answer. My math teacher would have been pleased if I had said "3mm" or "7mm" (the nearest metric sizes I could round .1" and .3" to), but I think my shop teachers would have just shook their heads and pointed to the other side of the tape measure.

I know I am probably being a little OCD (or maybe a lot), but that probably comes from my background.
QUICK..... convert these to fractions for me!!!

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #75

you want to get confused look at pipelaying and survaying dealing with 1/10 of a foot

Old 12-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #76

Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
QUICK..... convert these to fractions for me!!!

I'll wager you missed the post where I wrote "unless you are talking tolerances in firearms or engine building..." So, what are those measurements for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar
damn a lawyer and wants it convereted to metric but you still have the .00000 mm damn kids
Nope, didn't say I wanted it converted to metric! I just pointed out that as I was in school many years ago, unless we were talking very small numbers (think engines again), we kept our English measurements in fractions and our metric in decimals. At least when they were trying to get us to change to metric, dragging us kicking and screaming. Oh, and I did some surveying with an uncle one time. No thanks, you can keep it.

And if I can be called a kid when I am pushing 45, I will just have to say thank you and remember to respect my elders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
To me it is just the short way of saying .100 or .300. I am a machinist and work with these numbers all the time. When I first started out, everything was properly pronounced and the way that I pronounce the numbers now, you wouldn't know where the decimal is.
Every profession has their "shorthand." My dad is a retired journeyman machine repairman. I think I understand what you mean, and might understand some of what you said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
The guy above was talking about bullet holes in a target not engine tolerances or building a Mars Lander.
It was the comment about engineers that made the NASA goof pop into my head.

Quote:
Who uses a micrometer to measure their groups???
Someone far more obsessive-compulsive than I am? If I measure at all I use the distance between the first and second knuckles of my index finger, or something like that. Usually I just eyeball it and smile or curse, depending on which is appropriate.

Quote:
1/8" or 3/8" is damn fine shooting in anybody's book, I doubt if a few thousandths of an inch more or less will be important.
I have a hunch you are right.

OK, having said all of that, I still need to pick up a 10/22 one of these days!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #77

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My 10/22 at 50 yards using Fed. 550 bulk pack ammo. I stay away from quoting measurements of group size in favor of saying nickle dime or quarter sized groups. If I have to say silver dollar size, there's work to be done!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #78

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
OK, I am going to show my lack of "new math" skills here. How does one get .3 or .1 of an inch? I have always seen inches broken down into fractions. Quarters, Eighths, Sixteenths, etc... For example, .5" is really 1/2". Did I miss a memo or something?
Quote:
I'll wager you missed the post where I wrote "unless you are talking tolerances in firearms or engine building..." So, what are those measurements for?
Nah, I saw it. Just funnin ya a bit.

In grade school they made a big deal out of learning to write in cursive. When I finished school I found out that everyone wants everything documented in block letters ("PRINT Your Name HERE") so what was the point of learning cursive handwriting? Old technology dies out quickly that's all. Who sends out hand written letters anymore?

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #79

Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Nah, I saw it. Just funnin ya a bit.

In grade school they made a big deal out of learning to write in cursive. When I finished school I found out that everyone wants everything documented in block letters ("PRINT Your Name HERE") so what was the point of learning cursive handwriting? Old technology dies out quickly that's all. Who sends out hand written letters anymore?
I will not be funned! Wait. Is "funned" a word? Ah, what the heck, go ahead then.

I will just say that when I was deployed, I loved getting hand written letters far more than I did e-mails. Sent them to my wife and kids, too! But yes, I know what you mean.

I may need to get that 10/22 more quickly than expected along with a second one. I took my oldest daughter to the range today. Her first time shooting, really. She fell in love with my Winchester 94-22M. She can't have it.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #80

doc your point is well taken. but to stir the pot lets talk about minutes,ie .25 min @50 yds.