Drinking the 10/22 Kool-Aid - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Drinking the 10/22 Kool-Aid

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kalgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: sacramento,California
Posts: 86
Default after market receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Where can a fella just buy receivers at for the 10/22, I don't want any more extra stocks, barrels, etc. Seems to be a waste of money. A receiver, is about all that's left after converting one, well, converting one like they show in the magazines that make you droll and want to have a 10/22 .22rifle which really isn't much of a 10/22 after all when your done with it. Oh well, we want what we want. A tricked out one costs an easy $500 extra. Worth it in my book, but, then again, these firearms are the only "bad" habit I have.
NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers
__________________
kalgunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: navarre,fl
Posts: 619
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default 10-22

you can get a reciever at midway for about 500$ to a ffl after the trigger and barrel the most important thing is a proper head spaced bolt imo

__________________
tonydewar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Driggs,Idaho
Posts: 299
Default

Congrats on the new Ruger.

I bought one about 6 months ago, played with it until it shot in the .3" range, 5 shots @ 50 yds (I got a freek barrel, it really shoots, especially after have it re crowned), and now I'm buying other things, they are not cheap guns as they first appear. A trigger job is manditory.

When your ready for a good Bolt gun, look at the Savage. I got one of those also, had my gunsmith do one of his special accuracy jobs on it and it shot
.3" better than stock. On a good shooting day, it will shoot in the .1" range.

Both are great guns.
I have the best of both worlds, a semi auto that's pretty darn accurate and a bolt gun that is fantastic when punching paper or long range precision accuracy is needed.

Enjoy that 10-22, I'm sure you will. They are additive.

John K

__________________
rifleman55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DocWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

OK, I am going to show my lack of "new math" skills here. How does one get .3 or .1 of an inch? I have always seen inches broken down into fractions. Quarters, Eighths, Sixteenths, etc... For example, .5" is really 1/2". Did I miss a memo or something?

Oh, and yeah, I need to pick up a 10/22 one day soon. I have a Browning pump .22LR and a Winchester 9422M in .22WMR, but need the 10/22 to go with my Mini-14.

__________________

Last edited by DocWard; 12-04-2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Clarity
DocWard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Snakedriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 848
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

.0625 = 1/16"

.125 = 1/8"

.250 = 1/4"

.375 = 3/8"

.500 = 1/2"

.625 = 5/8"

.750 = 3/4"

..........and so on. If you take 1 and divide it by 8 you get .125 for example. The little slash in the fractional number can also be considerd as "divided by".

__________________
Fear is a Reaction..............Courage is a Decision

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-04-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Snakedriver is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DocWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
.0625 = 1/16"

.125 = 1/8"

.250 = 1/4"

.375 = 3/8"

.500 = 1/2"

.625 = 5/8"

.750 = 3/4"

..........and so on. If you take 1 and divide it by 8 you get .125 for example. The little slash in the fractional number can also be considerd as "divided by".
Well.... your point sort of proves mine. Yes, the popularly used fractions can be converted (hence my .5" comment), but they are generally recognized as such, at least the .25 and .75. That still leaves the whole ".1" and ".3" that I see more and more of.

I would have had math teachers, not to mention wood shop and metal shop teachers, smacking me on the side of my head if I had given a ".3" as an answer. My math teacher would have been pleased if I had said "3mm" or "7mm" (the nearest metric sizes I could round .1" and .3" to), but I think my shop teachers would have just shook their heads and pointed to the other side of the tape measure.

I know I am probably being a little OCD (or maybe a lot), but that probably comes from my background.
__________________

Last edited by DocWard; 12-04-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
DocWard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Snakedriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 848
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
Well.... your point sort of proves mine. Yes, the popularly used fractions can be converted (hence my .5" comment), but they are generally recognized as such, at least the .25 and .75. That still leaves the whole ".1" and ".3" that I see more and more of.

I would have had math teachers, not to mention wood shop and metal shop teachers, smacking me on the side of my head if I had given a ".3" as an answer. My math teacher would have been pleased if I had said "3mm" or "7mm" (the nearest metric sizes I could round .1" and .3" to), but I think my shop teachers would have just shook their heads and pointed to the other side of the tape measure.

I know I am probably being a little OCD (or maybe a lot), but that probably comes from my background.
Well when someone refers to .1" or .3", especially when talking about shooting, I make the assumption that they are referring to 1/8" and 3/8". The decimal equivalents of the fractional numbers have become much more common with the wide use of calculators. As engineers, the decimals are pemanently affixed in our brains.
__________________
Fear is a Reaction..............Courage is a Decision

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Snakedriver is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

The .1 and .3 means /10 of an inch as usually measured by dial calipers. To get a true 1/10" group is an extremely tight group.

__________________

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DocWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Well when someone refers to .1" or .3", especially when talking about shooting, I make the assumption that they are referring to 1/8" and 3/8". The decimal equivalents of the fractional numbers have become much more common with the wide use of calculators. As engineers, the decimals are pemanently affixed in our brains.
Ah, but .1' isn't the equivalent of 1/8" and .3" isn't the equivalent of 3/8"! The difference isn't a lot, unless you are talking tolerances in firearms or engine building. Then it becomes huge! Remember, it was a simple failure to convert english to metric that caused NASA engineers to waste over $100 million dollars worth of equipment around Mars! I'm just a lawyer, not an engineer, but if even I know better, then.....

Seriously, I know this isn't a big deal, at least at the range. Like I said, I was having a bit of an OCD moment.
__________________
DocWard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #70
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DocWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The .1 and .3 means /10 of an inch as usually measured by dial calipers. To get a true 1/10" group is an extremely tight group.
Oh, I recognize it is an extremely tight group! I think I may have gotten a group that tight with one shot a time or two!

I also think you hit the nail on the head with the dial caliper comment, which is what I thought of when I mentioned engine building.
__________________
DocWard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
It's the perfect day, what are you drinking... DarinCraft The Club House 41 02-06-2010 08:24 AM
3 million dollars research chinese hookers drinking on job crowbar Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 05-13-2009 02:55 PM
I Aint Drinking The Koolaid user4 Politics, Religion and Controversy 5 09-02-2008 02:07 AM