Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Drinking the 10/22 Kool-Aid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default Drinking the 10/22 Kool-Aid

Well all the talk about the virtues of the Ruger 10/22 platform won me over and I just placed an order for this model. Looking forward to some cheap, fun plinking at the range. At this rate I'll never get that AR built.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sweet, congrats

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's just a small dent in the budget and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #4

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Great cheap fun...

My 17 yr old learned basic rifle marksmanship behind the same Ruger. I picked it up when he was 6 and noticed the dealer had 4 beat up 10/22 stocks leaning in the corner. Paid $5.00 for the second stock. We measured, cut it down "to fit his 6 yr old frame", sanded and re-finished it together. As he grew we eventually put the original stock back on.

Funny thing is now I own a fairly nice collection of much more exciting guns and I provide the ammo, but he still reaches for that 10/22 first.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

good job. You'll love that lil' plinker. I bought the butler creek stock and bull barrel combo for $150 and a simmons 22 scope for mine. My BIL and I have competitions on who can make the smallest hole with 25 rounds. They're tack driver's!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The only thing better than having a 10-22 is having two! Congrats on your new purchase. There's a TON of things and crap you can do to them to get it doing whatever you might want it to do. It's hard to deny the rifle and ammo cost vs all the plinking fun.

I agree you will wonder why you waited so long getting one. I've had several 22 rifles over the years. I've liked the 10-22's the best by far.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default The aftermarket parts orgy begins....

Any suggestions for a scope for the rifle shown above? Use will be 100% plinking at 25-50 yds, 100 yds max, no hunting, pest control at all.

I was thinking of a 3-9x32 or 40 on high rise mount so I could still use iron sights. Don't want to double gun price so $100 top end on scope, mounts, rings, etc. Does it matter that it's a rimfire versus centerfire scope, if so why?

Are the triggers really in need of work out of the box and will that matter at 25-50 yards? Bear????

Thanks for any replies....

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

i would love one of these with the krinker plinker stock but 300 plus just for the stock aint cool. The m-4 set-up is nice as well and affordable

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Any suggestions for a scope for the rifle shown above? Use will be 100% plinking at 25-50 yds, 100 yds max, no hunting, pest control at all.

I was thinking of a 3-9x32 or 40 on high rise mount so I could still use iron sights. Don't want to double gun price so $100 top end on scope, mounts, rings, etc. Does it matter that it's a rimfire versus centerfire scope, if so why?

Are the triggers really in need of work out of the box and will that matter at 25-50 yards? Bear????

Thanks for any replies....
This is what I have and I love it. Matches what you want.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Now you can get Bear to do the trigger for ya. Enjoy it.