Does anyone recognize this .22 rifle? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Does anyone recognize this .22 rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think I know what it is when I get home I'll take a picture of the one I have and you see if it's it.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #22

Here is the pics. Pictures by shadowlid - Photobucket

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #23

Default It may be...

a Marlin model 15. Take a peek at the pic.

Marlin Model 15 .22 SL & LR Bolt Action Rifle 22 : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

marlin-15.jpg  

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #24

Marlin Glenfield model 60. Tube feed and if the long barrel model it holds 14 or so total. If the shorter model about 12 or so.
There were many made and all were 22 LR only. Seen some later rifles with other names, but all are the same parts as the original.
I have many fond memories of my rifle. When OJ came in those skinny bottles, I would toss them up and shoot them in air. Very dangerous to do such, but bullets had miles of swamp to land.
Pigions in the barn caught hell from a new brick of ammo.
Good luck with the rifle.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #25

Let's stop a minute, & re-group. There is too much confusion & guessing going on in this post. OK,,,,fIRST-- Poster states that front sight is not adjustable. That front sight on the rifle you posted , IS adjustable, by sliding back & forth in a groove. [ windage ] Yes, that is called a tubular magazine & most, but not all , were semi-automatics made by several companies. The Pix of the rifle laying on the deck, that you THINK might be it, is Marlin/Glenfied. Also sold by Sears, & others.
There is not a picture posted of the Remington 550, 550-1, 550-A, which I had for many years . These had the same sights & tube as the original picture posted ,,, but the barrel was several inches longer than the tube. The Remington 552 series, which looks like the one " jpatterson " posted on top of his pix, is what I believe your dad's old rifle was. It used the front sight, barrel band, & tubular magazine that you are showing in your first picture.
The Model 552, once stated that it would shoot all lengths on .22 rounds, but many didn't work as well as with straight long rifles. If you look up Remington 552, you will see a distinct shell deflector at the ejection port that your Dad may recognize. Plenty of these are still around & are great shooters. The 550 model, that I had would shoot any type round I put in it, including feeding CB caps. It was the better of the 2 rifles,,, in my opinion, but the 552, sometimes called " Speedmaster " are still a good rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=Remington+552

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=remington+550

I will accept a thank you !
Thanks

Last edited by Esteban; 02-27-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added info

Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Unfortunately, the type of sight (pressed into a dovetail slot) was common to 98% of .22 rifles. To simplify manufacturing, they later went to a ramp type sight that attaches with a screw. Ref: Tubular magazine- probably 45% had those. Off the top of my head, a bunch of Marlins had full length mags- check the marlin 781, the 880 series, 81, etc. Savage also made a couple with full lenght tube mags. (BTW, guys- i have Remington 550s and 550-1s- the mags are shorter, and he DID say bolt action)

To complicate matters, rifles that were made for a buncha years had model changes during the production run. An older rifle will have slight differences from the NEW version of the same model. Heck, I've got 2 Marlins, same model, different bolts- one has 2 separate extractors, one has a one piece.

I'll make 2 suggestions- one, get a copy of Gun Traders Guide. fairly pricy paperback, but you may snag a copy thru your library. Sit down and start thumbing thru the rifle section, look at pics, and see if the shape of a rifle makes a neuron go SPOING!.

Second- Go buy a gently used Marlin .22 bolt action. Not extremely expensive gun, but accurate, durable- get a brick of ammo, some hi viz targets, and go take your Dad shooting. You are burning up time looking for the perfect rifle- give him another perfect rifle. Good luck-

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #27

Default Am I an idiot, or what?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1002 View Post
a Marlin model 15.

What a mulroon!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #28

Liked 411 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreclosurefish View Post
I am 99% sure this is the rifle I am looking for, but I can not find it anywhere.

If this is the rifle, it is a .22 LR, bolt action.

It had a wood stock, tubular magazine.

If anyone recognizes this gun, please let me know what it is.

I know there is not much to go on here, but this is the only picture I could find that matched the gun as I remember it.

Thanks!

he says its a bolt action with a tubular magazine iv never seen a bolt action with a tubular magazine.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #29

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
...iv never seen a bolt action with a tubular magazine.
Now you've seen everything!

Marlin 81, and I've had two of 'em. My Mossberg 46 is also tube-fed.
81.jpg  

Last edited by sdm1002; 03-07-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: because I forgot something...

Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #30

Liked 411 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

so that should narrow down his search considerably.cause as far as i know thats not very common.