Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Does anyone recognize this .22 rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

it was my dads and he doesn't remember the model or manufacturer, unfortunately.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #12

Likes Given: 1

The .22 rifle this picture bove is a Remington 550-1...this gun is very interesting to because a friend of mine gave me one yesterday which was surfaced rusted and light pitting .It shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle, and cashoot the nes subsonic rounds..so I got to know the barrel and tubular magazine very well today as I cleaned it and getting ready to Wonder blue it....it has a walnut stock also..

Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #13

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Is the Rifle in the top of the pic close?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #14

no! look up Remington 550-1....underneath the barrel is the ammo tube...look at the knurling of the tube magazine at the end the pic you showed has it...look at the band in your picture also...the tube and the band is the exactly like one I have

Old 01-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #15

A couple of things are distinguishing about the rifle you are looking for if it is as the picture of the one leaning on the railing:

The magazine tube is very nearly as long as the barrel but is supported well back from the muzzle with a high quality dovetail bracket. You should be able to scale the muzzle overhang to the distance from the bracket to the end of the magazine tube.

The knurling on the magazine rod is quite pronounced and rather coarse judging be the apparent ease with which it picked up some paint on a fence or something.

The front sight has no provisions for a hood, so you should be able to eliminate quite a few rifles of the carbine variety.

Were you to go to a gun show and do a walk through during a slow afternoon, you just might see something very close if not exactly matching your photo.

I suspect that you're looking for a semi-automatic, which is what you have found as the closest matches to your memory but have the wrong front sight. I believe you specified that 22 LR was the cartridge, which would fit some semi-autos that wouldn't handle shorts or longs.

On those presumptions, I would suggest you look at the Savage, Savage/Stevens line such as the Savage Model 88, the Stevens Model 87 or the Savage/Stevens Model 88. These three semi-autos have magazine tubes very close to the muzzle, support brackets well behind the end of the tube and blade front sights and were widely available.

At the risk of sounding like a smart _ _ _, I might suggest that if neither your dad nor you remember the brand, model or features, you might just buy him something you think he'd like. In any event, I applaud your efforts in finding a match, and I hope you are successful.

Last edited by bside; 01-24-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreclosurefish View Post
I am 99% sure this is the rifle I am looking for, but I can not find it anywhere.

If this is the rifle, it is a .22 LR, bolt action.

It had a wood stock, tubular magazine.

If anyone recognizes this gun, please let me know what it is.

I know there is not much to go on here, but this is the only picture I could find that matched the gun as I remember it.

Thanks!

Judging from the way the magazine tube is attached to the barrel, I can say it's NOT a later winchester .22, such as a 190, 250, 270, or a 290.I think the clue will be how that mag attaches to the barrel...Also, all the winchester .22's I've mentioned are either semi, pump, or lever action, not bolt.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #17

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Guys, the provided photo is not the gun, it's what he thinks the gun was.

Way too many variables here!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Hey I am looking for an old car. It had 2 head lights, was black, had 4 wheels and 1 spare. Oh and it had a windshield as well.

What kind of car is it.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #19

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Hey I am looking for an old car. It had 2 head lights, was black, had 4 wheels and 1 spare. Oh and it had a windshield as well.

What kind of car is it.
Yugo? With optional windshield!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #20

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts

Seems to me you arent going to get much help, or find what you're looking for with this information.

Go buy your dad a nice new .22, or a used one that's similar. You cant make up for thesentimental value lost, but atleast you can return a gun.

Or....get it back from the person you gave it to?

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper