Do I need a dummy round to practice dry firing my rimfire 22? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Do I need a dummy round to practice dry firing my rimfire 22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
flw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
When I was starting to teach my sons the basics I did not work at all on breathing, stance or trigger control. Gun safety and range safety are of paramount importance and nothing else should cloud their minds when they are learning these foundations. Accuracy doesn't matter for $hit at their earliest introduction to guns, as a matter of fact people (not just kids) will tend to be quite accurate almost instinctively when they first fire a gun, they just point it like a finger and squeeze the trigger.

First my teaching stance, breathing and trigger control is the reason for needing to dry fire. i.e. the reason for this post.

Second, Memorizing the four rules of gun ownership is a must before dry firing so I left it out because it preceedd what I'm doing with dry firing but has nothing to do with why I want to teach using dry firing.

He will memorise the four commandments of gun ownership.

1. Never point a weapon at anything you do not wish to kill.

2. A weapon is always assummed to be loaded.

3. Always be aware of what is behind and around your target.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #32
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
If using spent rounds for dry firing, how many times can I use a spent casing and still prevent any damage to my 22 rimfire? If it makes any difference the weapon is a Marlin Model 795 semi-auto.

I need to know as I'll be teaching my son general safety, range saftey, stance, breathing and trigger control. The last trigger control is where I need to have him dry fire the weapn more than once.

Also just for my own knowlodge, generally how many time can a rimfire 22 semi-auto be dryfired? Conservative number please.

For now he'll have no optics/scope to assist, just open sights with unsupported stance. I want him to control the firing basics first before jumpting to a scoped system.

Thank You
You'll see the brass case getting thin. If you hit the rim enough times in enough places, the extractor will tear through the now-thinned rim and you'll have to punch the case out from the muzzle.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys