Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Do I need a dummy round to practice dry firing my rimfire 22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm not saying that any centerfire will be damaged with the first dry-fire, and I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all. But after 20 years as a tool maker, I know for a fact, that if you beat two pieces of metal together long enough, one of 'em will break, or sustain damage. It's not rocket science.... but it's definitely a personal preference. My preference is not to dry fire. Suit yerselves.

.22hustler, there is no countersink on the right side of the bolt carrier group ( in my rifles ) to receive the looped end of the firing pin retaining pin. Insertion of the retaining pin from the right side will not allow assembly of my rifles. At least not a Marine Corps rifle....

Respects....
Boy, I tell ya it's been YEARS since I disassembled a M-16, M-16A1. That countersink where that pin goes in was drummed into our heads in Basic. I was trained as a US Army armorer when I got to my permanent duty station. I had M-60's, M-79's, M-16A1's, and 1911's. I was also thrown in to a quick CBR-NCO program as there was a shortage of NCO's. Thanks for your posts, it reminded me of days gone by...

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkRecluse View Post
Ruger 10/22's are ok to dry fire.
I doubt that, sure its possible but it will start to damage the firing pin and chamber edge after too much dry fire. I'm sure any rimfire can withstand the "oops" dry-fires but not dry-fire practice. I dont dry-fire my any of my 22s just cause that's what I've been taught. With how cheap the ammo is, I would think you'd get tired for shooting before you ran out of money or ammo.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #23
ET1

My wife has a Browing Buckmark Camper 22LR pistol. It came with an indentation where the firing pin makes contact with the breech face. At first I thought it was there by design as a relief so that the firing pin wouldn't actually make contact. I didn't know that it was damage from dry firing until I saw it on a forum dedicated to 22 semi-autos. They also reported that some firing pins expand at the tip after a few dry firings because of the impact with the breech face. But there are reports on the same thread that state the owners dry fire their Buckmarks all the time with no firing pin contact with the breech face. Go figure. It seems that each gun is different. I just know that my wifes gun does make contact. I checked it by using a thin piece of paper.

I also have a center fire semi-auto that states in the owners manual not to dry fire it. I don't pay that any attention. It has been dry fired many times with no ill consequences. Every gun is different. Every owner needs to know his guns well enough to know what he can & can't do with them.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8062 Times on 4656 Posts
Likes Given: 10414

If you leave a hammer cocked and store it that way (unloaded) don't the springs suffer from that, and is that any worse or better than dry-firing before you store your guns? I am not talking about practicing, repeatedly and deliberately dry-firing, mind you. Just releasing all of the spring tension (or as much as one can) by dry-firing a given gun before storage.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If you leave a hammer cocked and store it that way (unloaded) don't the springs suffer from that, and is that any worse or better than dry-firing before you store your guns? I am not talking about practicing, repeatedly and deliberately dry-firing, mind you. Just releasing all of the spring tension (or as much as one can) by dry-firing a given gun before storage.
Keeping a spring (in good condition... NOT physically damaged, or rusted ) compressed or extended, will NOT damage the spring. What damages springs is repeated cycling from compressed/extended to relaxed again. That's why "safe queens rarely need spring replacement, while shooters often need springs replaced.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use snap caps in all my firearms for dry fire.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #27

Liked 156 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Some .22's have firing pin stops and some don't,but what's wrong with just using spent casings?The firing pin won't know any different than if you were just plain firing the gun normally.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #28
flw

If using spent rounds for dry firing, how many times can I use a spent casing and still prevent any damage to my 22 rimfire? If it makes any difference the weapon is a Marlin Model 795 semi-auto.

I need to know as I'll be teaching my son general safety, range saftey, stance, breathing and trigger control. The last trigger control is where I need to have him dry fire the weapn more than once.

Also just for my own knowlodge, generally how many time can a rimfire 22 semi-auto be dryfired? Conservative number please.

For now he'll have no optics/scope to assist, just open sights with unsupported stance. I want him to control the firing basics first before jumpting to a scoped system.

Thank You

Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
If using spent rounds for dry firing, how many times can I use a spent casing and still prevent any damage to my 22 rimfire? If it makes any difference the weapon is a Marlin Model 795 semi-auto.

I need to know as I'll be teaching my son general safety, range saftey, stance, breathing and trigger control. The last trigger control is where I need to have him dry fire the weapn more than once.

Also just for my own knowlodge, generally how many time can a rimfire 22 semi-auto be dryfired? Conservative number please.

For now he'll have no optics/scope to assist, just open sights with unsupported stance. I want him to control the firing basics first before jumpting to a scoped system.

Thank You
I would say that you can use a spent case as many times till you run out of spots the firing pin ddn't hit. Most 22 manuals I seen say no dry fire. The my Marlin 795, Buckmark, Ruger Single Six, Henry, and Beretta 92 say no dry fire. Since you have to send the firearm back to them for warranty repair they might know best otherwise they would not have written it in the manual. By the way I used to write service manuals we say not to do it for a reason.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 03-29-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8062 Times on 4656 Posts
Likes Given: 10414

When I was starting to teach my sons the basics I did not work at all on breathing, stance or trigger control. Gun safety and range safety are of paramount importance and nothing else should cloud their minds when they are learning these foundations. Accuracy doesn't matter for $hit at their earliest introduction to guns, as a matter of fact people (not just kids) will tend to be quite accurate almost instinctively when they first fire a gun, they just point it like a finger and squeeze the trigger.

With my boys we often practice with a revolver (a .357 magnum is what I use) where I will load it with two light loads and four heavy loads or what have you, as long as you mix them up. (if you reload you can make some custom rounds for training, if not you can use .38's and .357's for the different recoil) and spin the cylinder before handing it to them. You can even put in a spent casing to get the same drill, but I prefer to use live rounds so that you can see the effects of the shooter's actions on the target. I suppose you could use a .22 rimfire with several different types of ammo (CB loads and high velocity for example) to run the same exercise, but the CB loads may not cycle the action on your Marlin.